Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Indoor plants outside for summer?

JEKCROW
Finding My Feet

Indoor plants outside for summer?

Can anyone Please give Me some advice.? I'm wanting to put my indoor plants (Philodrendron-Pothos-Monstera-Syngoniums) outside for the Summer months. But l'm not sure what "Grade of Shade Cloth" to use to keep them safe, but still give them enough light..?  Any advice would be Great,

16375769285035495793143923569731.jpg

Thanks JEKCROW...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Indoor Plants outside for Summer.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JEKCROW. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shadecloth.

There is 50, 70 and 90% shadecloth, and the percentage represents the amount of UV rays they restrict. All those plants will do fine in indirect sunlight and can burn in direct sunlight. I'd suggest you go with the 90% shadecloth and make sure it is still quite reasonably lit underneath. This mimics the filtered light that they would typically receive in the understory of a rainforest beneath the canopy above. They could possibly do fine under 70%, but I'd recommend you go with the higher UV block as those plants are more susceptible to burning than they are to lack of light. I grow my Monstera indoors with no direct light at all, and it does fine.

Remember to position the shadecloth to block morning and afternoon sun as well. There are a variety of shadecloth accessories that will make hanging it a breeze.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Indoor plants outside for summer?

Hi @JEKCROW  That's a lovely collection of plants. As Mitchell said, be careful not to burn them. Plants that have been grown indoors need time to build up tolerance to the sun, and even one short, sharp blast can burn them.

Do you want your plants to get bigger? Your Philodendrons, Monstera and Pothos will likely put on quite a spurt if you move them into bigger pots with some fresh potting mix, keep the water up to them and give them a bit of an organic fertiliser like Power Feed .  But maybe you don't want them getting too big and overtaking the house...

Remember to keep the water up to them too. They will probably get a lot more wind and general air movement outside, and even in the shade wind dries plants out real quick, just like washing on the line...

Cheers,

Brad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects