Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is is possible to replace a rubber seal in a garden tap?

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Is is possible to replace a rubber seal in a garden tap?

Hello,

I have several garden taps that when turned on, water tends to escape at the top between the spindle and the main body of the tap.  I was wondering if the rubber seal (highlighted by the arrow in the attached picture of the removed tap head) is what could cause the water to leak between the spindle and the main body of the tap, and whether it is possible to purchase new rubber seals?

Thanks.

Tap Seal.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is is possible to replace a rubber seal for in a garden tap?

Hi @Dezzi,

That would be the one, but it really depends on your part terminology! There's that one and another flat fibre washer that seals the threaded section, which I've marked with a red arrow. The O ring stops the water from escaping where the spindle's shank passes through the body of the spindle that I've marked with a green arrow. You can pick up repair kits that include everything you need. Whilst you have the tap disassembled, you might as well replace the tap valve and fibre washer.

It might be worth taking the spindle in with you to match up the correct O ring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

Once again, thank you.  Apologies for the incorrect terminology, yes it is the O ring I was inquiring about (name makes sense now!!).  

Kind regards,

Des

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dezzi 

Just a friendly reminder not to forget to apply HydroSeal Tap Lubricant 15g on the O ring and the spindle threads. The lubricant will prevent the O ring from being split apart when it slides against the spindle wall. Please double check the repair kit you'll be purchasing as they sometimes have small packets of tap grease. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Noted, thanks heaps Guys. 

Much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects