Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

uday_a
Just Starting Out

Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Hi guys,

Hope ya'll safe.

Just wondering if I can get some advice here from someone who's had some experience with my question.

I've been planning a DIY project to give my backyard a little makeover, and now seems to be the perfect time to do that.

So far, I'm done with weeding out all unwanted growth, raked out all moss, and tried levelling it as much as possible.

I live in a rented property, and the backyard floor is rough and not cemented. I'm not looking to get the area cemented, just interested to give it a quick & cheap fix for summers.

Should I bother about levelling out the surface professionally? Or will I be okay if I directly go ahead with pinning down weed mats and then laying the synthetic turf?

Any help will be much appreciated. 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Hi @uday_a - very important to level and compact the ground before laying artificial turf. You need to remove 70mm of sand from the finished height of your artificial turf, then lay crackerdust and compact it before rolling out the artificial turf and pinning it down. Remember to also spread fine white surface sand too.

If you don't do the level/compact, your grass will sink and you'll have wasted a heap of time, money and effort.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @uday_a. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I trust @ProjectPete's helpful reply has answered your questions. Please let us know if there is any additional information you need.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects you have going on around your house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration from within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi ProjectPete,

I am a newbie here, just wondering why the grass will sink if the ground is not level for laying artificial turf ? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Irenicus

Thank you for joining the discussion. Let me tag @ProjectPete so that he is made aware of your question. I suspect that if the sand is not compacted, it will slowly pass through the mesh of the artificial turf. It would be like sifting sand but in reverse. If the sand is compacted properly, it would be like locking them into place and sifting will not happen. 

Levelling the area prevents low spots from happening in your artificial turf. It also prevents water from pooling and dragging the sand down to the low-level spot of your area.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric again, appreciated.

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

@ProjectPete how about real turf? do i need level/compact the ground?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nancy12,

You might like to provide some details of the area where you are laying your turf. Unless this is new soil that hasn't been previously compacted (naturally or mechanically), then there is no need to compact the area before laying turf. If anything, when laying turf, you want to aerate and open up the existing compacted soil so the new roots can penetrate. However, levelling is different, and it's always beneficial to have a flat lawn. You can fill any low spots with Seasol Lawn Top Dress Mix 25L, and any high areas can have the soil removed with a sharp spade.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects