Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Hi guys,

Hope ya'll safe.

Just wondering if I can get some advice here from someone who's had some experience with my question.

I've been planning a DIY project to give my backyard a little makeover, and now seems to be the perfect time to do that.

So far, I'm done with weeding out all unwanted growth, raked out all moss, and tried levelling it as much as possible.

I live in a rented property, and the backyard floor is rough and not cemented. I'm not looking to get the area cemented, just interested to give it a quick & cheap fix for summers.

Should I bother about levelling out the surface professionally? Or will I be okay if I directly go ahead with pinning down weed mats and then laying the synthetic turf?

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Hi @uday_a - very important to level and compact the ground before laying artificial turf. You need to remove 70mm of sand from the finished height of your artificial turf, then lay crackerdust and compact it before rolling out the artificial turf and pinning it down. Remember to also spread fine white surface sand too.

If you don't do the level/compact, your grass will sink and you'll have wasted a heap of time, money and effort.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @uday_a. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I trust @ProjectPete's helpful reply has answered your questions. Please let us know if there is any additional information you need.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects you have going on around your house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration from within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects