Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my lavender healthy? (Gold Coast)

NatFrances
Growing in Experience

Is my lavender healthy? (Gold Coast)

Hi. 

I'm a budding gardener but definitely a beginner! I have been pretty successful with most of my garden (veggies and flowers) but I'm having trouble with lavender. 

I've never been able to grow from seed, but I bought four seedlings months ago which aren't really growing. I found out I was overwatering them and also that they were in the wrong soil, so I've since repotted with suitable soil (mixed with perlite) and moved into a sunnier position. I checked for any fungal infection in the roots when repotting but they looked good to me.

IMG_20211107_132245252_HDR.jpg

The leaves seem kind of white/grey and I'm unsure if this is normal or if I've done serious damage.

Any help/tips would be appreciated! I adore lavender and would love it to be a healthy, happy part of my garden!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is my lavender healthy? (Gold Coast)

Hi @NatFrances,

Your lavender looks reasonably healthy, and I suspect those white/grey leaves are just the start of the needle-like leaves you'd expect to see on a lavender bush. I don't believe this new growth has anything to do with you causing harm to the plant.

Are they in full sun now, and does the soil they are in drain readily? How long ago did you re-pot them? It sounds like due to having them in the wrong mix and watering too regularly, you've potentially missed out on a flourish of growth this year. They've likely been stressed from the re-pot and are just recouping at the moment.

Here's a handy guide to growing lavender that you might find helpful: How to plant, grow and harvest lavender.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you so much for your help! It's great to know I haven't done damage!

I only repotted them a week ago. They soil is definitely draining now, and I moved then to the spot in the garden that gets the most sun.

Thank you also for the link to the guide to growing Lavender, I appreciate it! :smile:

If you only re-potted them a week ago, I would give them little time to recover @NatFrances.

Keep us updated and reach out if there is no change or growth over the next several weeks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects