Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there anything wrong with my rose plant?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Is there anything wrong with my rose plant?

Hello,

Please refer to the pics of my rose plant and advise me if there are any problems with the plant. I reckon there is something not right with the plant as no budding and flowering happening. I request your expert advice.

Thanks

Balaji.

(NOTE: I am posting lots of questions regularly in this space because I am a beginner, a naïve gardener. I am very keen to learn this art and do it in a right way. Hope this regular messaging doesn't annoy the experts and members in the community, if so, please let me know your thoughts).

20231127_100822.jpg20231127_100829.jpg 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Is there anything wrong with my rose plant?

Hello @balaji27,

Thanks for your question on your rose plant. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist once he's back online on the site later today. Let me also call upon our garden experts @mich1972 and @Noelle for their thoughts in the meantime.

While waiting, you might like to have a read through this Bunnings guide for related advice: How to grow and care for roses.

Please feel free to keep asking as many questions as required. We are happy to assist. The exchange of information also benefits other members, especially those who may be facing similar issues in their home and garden. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @balaji27 

Happy to help with advice whenever you have a question, so ask away!

Your rose looks like it has flowered in spring. It won't produce flower buds continuously right through the warmer weather but will possibly flower again in late summer or autumn on new shoots. Trim off the old flower stems to encourage new growth.

The leaves look a little sunburned / dry on the edges. Depending on where you live, you may have experienced some very hot weather which will burn leaves unless the plants have a little shade during the hottest part of the day. The brown edges also look dry - how often are you watering? While roses are reasonably drought=tolerant when established, they do appreciate two or three deep soakings a week otherwise they may show signs of stress like this.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @balaji27 

It's perfectly alright to ask these questions. I recommend following @Noelle's advice regarding your rose plant. Should any other symptoms appear, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks Akanksha for the prompt response and sharing the guide, really helpful.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hello Noelle,

Thanks a lot for your response. I live in Adelaide and we haven't had too hot day so far. I will trim off the older stems and see how it pans out, thanks for the advice. As the summer started, I water the plants morning and evening - twice daily (not sure about the quantity of water I fed).

Thanks for your encouragement to post such questions and for guiding me in the right direction, I am learning a lot in this forum from you all, awesome.

Best Regards

Balaji.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, sure will do.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects