Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this Funghi good or bad?

MircoJacobs
Finding My Feet

Is this Funghi good or bad?

Hi All and thanks for any help. 

Whilst planting some seedlings in my raised garden bed I came across some lumps of white fungi.

Do I need to replace the soil?

16310658984964827328444464624034.jpg

Grub80
Making a Splash

Re: Is this Funghi good or bad?

Hi @MircoJacobs @The soil is fine. The mould is actually part of good soil structure. It’s just that because the soil was in the bag, the soil may have got wet and then warm. Good soil is always living and active. Good luck with your planting. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MircoJacobs

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Grub80. I totally agree with his observation that mould is part of a healthy soil structure. It looks like you are starting your spring planting already. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of what you're currently planting? Did you prepare an area for your garden project? Any details you can share would be much appreciated.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

I was getting my hanging garden bed ready to plant some vegetables and turned over the old soil, where I found the fungi clumps. 

Attached some pictures of my "garden"

Thanks for the helping feedback. 

Mirco

20210912_113420.jpg

Hi @MircoJacobs,

To add to the conversation, that's a fungus called mycelium, always present in rich organic soils. It's a normal and healthy part of soil structure. It goes unnoticed most of the time, but when it forms into large colonies, it can be observed as you have done here. Fun fact: It can grow to span thousands of acres.

Your garden looks great, and I love the hanging planters!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects