Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this tree beside Juniperus Spartans affected by crown gall?

curo123
Growing in Experience

Is this tree beside Juniperus Spartans affected by crown gall?

IMG_8956.JPG

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Is this tree beside Juniperus Spartans affected by crown gall?

Hi @curo123,

Thank you for asking if your tree has crown gall, from what I can tell, it doesn't look like this is the case but let me tag in our garden legends @Noelle@Adam_W, and @mich1972 to see what they think it could be. Do you know what type of tree it is? That might also help identify what could be going on. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @curo123 

Crown gall affects the "crown" of the trunk where it attaches to the root system.

This is definitely not crown gall.  In fact, if the tree is a lillypilly as the leaves might appear to be, the appearance of the rough bark is quite normal and not really anything to be concerned about.

curo123
Growing in Experience

Hi @Noelle,

I think the tree is a glory bush. I hope it’s not too sick. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @curo123,

Could you please show us the leaves of this tree so we can assist in identifying it for you? Tibouchina are typically shrubs or small trees. The trunk looks fairly substantial and more so a medium to large tree. Are you sure it's a glory bush? If we can positively identify the plant, we'll have much better luck at providing an accurate response to your question.

Mitchell

curo123
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. I hope you can help. The tree looks unwell.

2ABE3529-6477-468A-9DC4-830D6BA63C5D.jpeg

4529233A-C140-4AB9-836B-B8FD949E175C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To confirm, @curo123, are these Tibouchina leaves you've just posted from the large tree trunk you posted earlier? Tibouchina typically has very smooth trunks, which makes me think these leaves and trunk don't go together. Is it not a smaller shrub growing next to the larger tree? Regardless, the Tibouchina leaves look quite healthy. Is it just the rough bark that makes you think it looks unwell?

Mitchell

curo123
Growing in Experience

Hello Mitchell,

It’s all connected. The trunk doesn’t look well. 

D5994095-77E7-4515-802D-F009932F297E.jpeg

A83CF5AD-6699-4E43-AF36-01EC8BC168F5.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

In that case, let me mention @Noelle and @AdamW to see if they have some thoughts. There does appear to be some borer damage or a decay issue going on within the bark layer. What's the drainage like in that area? Tibouchina are quite susceptible to root rot from poor drainage and excessive moisture. 

Mitchell

Yes, I agree, the leaf does not look like a tibouchina or glory bush.  It looks much more like a lillypilly leaf but I too would like to see a close-up of a couple of leaves to be more certain.  The bark does not look like a disease - it just looks a little gnarled as some trees do. There does not appear to be any rot.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects