Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Large gabion retaining wall build

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Large gabion retaining wall build

12-03-2022z9f.jpg

12-03-2022.jpg12-03-2022b.jpg12-03-2022d.jpg12-03-2022e.jpg12-03-2022g.jpg12-03-2022h.jpg12-03-2022k.jpg12-03-2022m.jpg12-03-2022o.jpg12-03-2022p.jpg12-03-2022q.jpg12-03-2022t.jpg12-03-2022u.jpg12-03-2022w.jpg12-03-2022x.jpg12-03-2022z.jpg12-03-2022z1.jpg12-03-2022z2.jpg12-03-2022z3.jpg12-03-2022z6.jpg12-03-2022z7.jpg12-03-2022z9.jpg12-03-2022z9a.jpg12-03-2022z9b.jpgJJ12-03-2022z9e.jpg12-03-2022z9f.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Large gabion retaining wall build

@MeganCooper 

:smile: Thank you for the compliment! No I do not offer them to landscapers lol But as @MitchellMc  said Bunnings have a range of the gabion baskets.

I have used them and they are very easy to put together and stand up very well. In fact I was sitting on one in the sun I had built as a windbreak for a coffee tree yesterday. I will see if I can post the project today. Must say Bunnings rocks with the cages :smile: Pun intended!

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MeganCooper 

Re - The footings question.

Gabion walls generally dont require a footing from what I have read  and also experienced. 

I have Free sanding walls that have stayed true to vertical for a decade.

I have freestanding walls that have maybe moved 2cm off vertical in 5 years (the movement was in the first year as it was half compacted dirt half dirt in situ)

And I have a large tall gabion wall that retains soil, and deals with a large amount of water. 

Non of these have a concrete foot or any footings other then compacted dirt (undisturbed soil) 

I have stacked two of the Bunnings baskets on top of each other and they are solid. Three I have not done tho would probarly do. The ground underneath was only shaved of grass and leveled that way.

I will tag you for the small wall build when i post it.

Dave

MeganCooper
Growing in Experience

Thanks 🙏 so much for your detailed reply. My next question 🙋‍♀️ is do you build these commercially? 

Megan 

MeganCooper
Growing in Experience

I’d love to be able to see one on site if you’re in Sydney … I’m half way through a large project that needs some retaining.

megan 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MeganCooper 

Around an hour and a half South of Sydney. But I would suggest to cruise around a few neighbourhoods especially hilly ones. Once I started looking to see who else had a Gabion wall they were everywhere! From a fence post style with corrorgated tin between them to actual retaining walls on a sloping block. Message me if you head down South. If you are considering a wall I'd sugest to by one of the 800*400*400 baskets and put it together and then sit it around where you want. It really gives a great idea for what it will look like. The baskets are $57.00ea last time I looked (On monday :smile:

Dave

Hi @Dave-1

Saw this in the featured projects post & commented there but adding this here with the rest.

This looks great & has inspired me. The back of my property is fill & just falls to ground level. I've been thinking about a timber/concrete sleeper retaining wall so I can reduce the fall & better support hedging. This looks like a more manageable DIY solution for me, altho barrowing rocks 30m from the front to the rear to fill the gabions isn't inspiring :wink:  I don't have any waste rocks so I'll have to get something from a landscape yard, maybe river rocks. The rear boundary also slopes down a hill, falling maybe 0.5m so I could either dig it out to level or maybe make the gabions a different height. 

Can you explain how you made the "windings" that you used to link the gabions together please? My back boundary is about 20m so will need to join a few :smile:  I'm going to head down there now to see how it would work.

Cheers, Peter

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @pete_brig 

Just posted the answer in the "Featured projects"

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects