Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lawn - Yellow / white when I mow. Green otherwise

kashgenius
Growing in Experience

Lawn - Yellow / white when I mow. Green otherwise

Hi all,

I have a problem where I see patches of yellow/white when I mow my lawn but is otherwise green when the grass height is high. I cannot seem to figure out the issue. Could it be due to fertiliser burn? Or do I need to aerate more. Pictures attached. 

As I mentioned, these only appear after I mow the lawn.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 13.13.29 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 13.13.29.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 13.13.28.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn - Yellow / white when I mow. Green otherwise

Hi @kashgenius,

This is a pretty common look to a lawn that has been cut short. With regular cutting at this same length, the yellow spots will clear up. The yellow areas are formed when the grass grows out in length, and the lower areas stop receiving sunlight. For instance, if you let your lawn grow for several weeks in summer and then cut it, the entire lawn will be yellow.

When was the last time you fertilised, and what is your watering regime like?

Let me also mention one of our knowledgeable horticulturists, @Adam_W, to see if he can give us his opinion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

To answer your questions, I last fertilised about 7 months ago and very recently, a week ago. I water twice a week with enough water to all parts of the lawn.

Not the most regular in lawn mowing but here is my plan for my thick blade buffalo grass:

• Mow it down to the lowest level in next week or so.
  • Aerate the soil.
  • Overseed where needed with tall fescue.
  • Mow regularly every week without fail.

Is that a good plan for autumn or should I wait until spring to do this? 

Hopefully @Adam_W  has some opinion. Can produce more photos.

And I also managed to find this thread where there is some good advice too.

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Garden/Buffalo-lawn-turned-yellow/td-p/52868

gitzy
Growing in Experience

I have Kikuyu grass in my lawn and also have similar problems. Is it the same solution for this type of grass? I water 2-3 times a week and mow once in 10 days. 

Hi @kashgenius,

Your plan sounds like a good option. You might also want to de-thatch your lawn by taking a rake and removing any dead grass. I believe you'll find mowing at the lowest level a bit of an issue for Buffalo, as that doesn't leave much of the leaf material. I suggest that frequent mowings at the third from the lowest setting would be a better option. Early Spring is always a great time to prep your lawn for summer. You'll find seed germinates much more rapidly then.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

You'll also find a tonne of great information in this ongoing discussion about how to improve your lawn this spring.

Please keep us updated on your progress and feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gitzy. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to start your own discussion, including images of your lawn and as much detail as possible to assist our members in providing a solution to your problem. I'd also encourage you to read through the article links I have provided above and let us know if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing more about your own lawn issues and assisting with restoring it.

Mitchell

gitzy
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc  for your reply. I will start a new discussion soon.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @kashgenius@MitchellMc makes some good points here. I also reckon you need to watch the height you are cutting. Maybe raise it up a level or so and see how you go until it's well established. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects