Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leaky irrigation system - which part needs fixing?

EricaTheGreat
Finding My Feet

Leaky irrigation system - which part needs fixing?

Hi there, DIY friends!

A few years ago, I had an automated irrigation system installed. Since then, the company which did so has gone out of business, and so I'm learning all I can in order to self-maintain it.

It's all hooked up to a Hunter Hydrawise controller. However, three of the sprinkler heads seem to have developed slow leaks. (See photos). Two of these problematic sprinkler heads are connected to the same pipe, but the third is connected to a different pipe.

20220307_132831.jpg

There was a separate issue where the pipe itself developed a leak (underground), but I dug it up and patched that over with plumbers tape, and it seems to have resolved. However, this broken pipe was the one that connects to two of the faulty sprinkler heads, so it may be relevant.

I understand this is a complicated setup with many possible problems, but can someone give me a high level suggestion - should I be looking to replace the sprinkler heads and/or connectors, or is the issue more likely closer to the origin, not correctly shutting off water flow when it's supposed to?

20220307_132822.jpg (The sprinkler head, in case that is relevant)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leaky irrigation system - which part needs fixing?

Hello @EricaTheGreat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your sprinklers.

I suggest doing a process of elimination to get to the bottom of the fault. If the Hunter Hydrawise has stopped the flow of water to the sprinkler system nothing should be coming out of the sprinklers. Your water controller has two states on and off. One way to test the system is to remove the controller and bridge the gap with your garden hose. Turn the tap on and your sprinklers should work flawlessly. Turn the tap off and everything stops. If your tap works properly your sprinklers shouldn't be getting any water and there should be no leaks.

Turning on your tap to low pressure should reproduce the fault that's happening to your sprinklers. You're getting water leaking out of the sprinkler heads. When the Hydrawise is re-attached to your garden tap and you get leaking sprinkler heads odds are the controller needs to be replaced or repaired. 

The sprinkler heads operate by water pressure even a small amount of water will open the heads to let the water out. However, at proper operating pressure, the heads lift to produce the spray pattern you see sprinklers make.

Sprinkler heads have a number of faulty states:

• The head will not open. That means something is stuck or broken in the head itself.

• The spray head is permanently open. A failed spring is often the cause.

• The spray pattern is uneven. A broken or cracked spray head is usually the case.  

The sprinkler heads don't hold the pressure inside the system. That's the job of the Hydrawise. If you have another functioning controller in your garden, I suggest testing that on your system. If the leaking stops that will definitely prove that the controller is at fault. 

If the controller is at fault, I suggest upgrading your system to the Holman WX8 Wi-Fi Irrigation Controller With EVIE Sensor

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W for his recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your help Eric, that's confirmed my suspicions. I'll give the hose option a go!

robchin
Becoming a Leader

HI @EricaTheGreat . @EricL has made some very good suggestions there. Makes good sense. 

I have another thing for you to consider. I wonder if this is a problem all the time or just for a day or two? If it is all the time - you have an issue with a solenoid valve leaking - it may be a slow leak but it needs to be fixed. The solenoid valve that runs that line will need to be replaced or repaired. It's a job for a handy person or an expert.

On the other hand - if the sprinklers leak for a bit and then stop leaking then it could just be the water in the pipes leaking out after the valve has shut off via the timer. This would be normal, particularly if the block is hilly and the sprinklers are draining under gravity. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects