Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Line trimmer recommendation please

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

Line trimmer recommendation please

Hi
I've always found line trimmers a bit tricky and frustrating (line breaking etc). My garden is about 400m2 with a few areas bounded by rocks (see pic).
What would be a good value cordless (battery) trimmer that is reliable, not too heavy, and easy to feed the line? Looking at Ryobi range for battery compatibility but open to other suggestions.
Thanks

ThgIMG_4746.JPGIMG_4747.JPG.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Line trimmer recommendation please

Hi @Nickim1,

What Ryobi batteries are you running, 18V or 36V? 18V line trimmers typically run lines that are smaller than 2.0mm, and the 36V runs a more robust 2.0mm and above. Given the size of the yard, I'd suggest that considering the 36V range would be a wise decision, though you could make do with the 18V.  Something like the Ryobi 36V 4.0Ah 40cm Straight Shaft Brushless Cordless Line Trimmer Kit would be an excellent choice, and it comes with the easy-winder head that makes reloading an easy and simple process.

Apart from selecting the right machine for the job, it's important to understand why line breaks, as that shouldn't be the case under normal use. There's also a big difference between a line break, where a line section breaks off, and when the line has been used back to the head. Both scenarios require you to stop and manually feed out the line, but both are also preventable.  Line breaks are typically attributed to working too closely to stonework. It's the last 10mm of line at the tip that should be doing the cutting, but when you bring the head of the line trimmer too close to a solid object, there's a tendency for the whole extended piece of line to break off. The solution to this is keeping the head further away and allowing the tip of the line to do the cutting. 

The second grievance can be when the line is used up back to the head and won't automatically extend. The fix to this is to get into the habit of every few metres extending the line to keep it at full length. Don't wait for it to be used up, or it will cause you to manually extend, wasting time. The above unit uses a bump feed system. So, every few metres, just tap the head on the ground to extend the line.

Although the 36V trimmers are larger and heavier, they are well-balanced with the motor at the rear. I actually find this more manageable as you're not holding the motor weight out in front of you. They're also more powerful, allowing you to do the job quicker. The other advantage of this 36V machine is that it's compatible with the Expand-It attachments.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nickim1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell

I'm leaning towards the Ryobi One+ 18v trimmer which has a 2mm line, and I think will be more manageable than a 36V trimmer for me, weight-wise. Will be expanding tools gradually and hopefully 18v will be fine for most tools. 

Appreciate the tips re how to avoid breaking the line and regularly extending the line.

Nicki

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That machine is great, @Nickim1; I have one myself. The Ryobi One+ 18V 25/30cm 4.0Ah Cordless Line Trimmer Kit has auto line advancement that is handy when keeping the line at full length.

Mitchell

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

thanks - how does that compare to the Ryobi One+ 18V 33/38cm 4.0Ah HP Brushless Cordless Line Trimmer Kit ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nickim1,

Both run a 2.0mm line, but the Ryobi One+ 18V 33/38cm 4.0Ah HP Brushless Cordless Line Trimmer has a significantly larger cutting width. It also features a bump feed head, has a brushless motor for more power and runtime, and is compatible with the Expand-It attachments. For your sized yard, I'd say it would be the better option.

Mitchell

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

I've bought the Ryobi One+ 18V 33/38cm 4.0Ah HP Brushless Cordless Line Trimmer Kit - it performs well but battery life not great on my lawn so looking at getting a spare battery and/or charger. It came with 4.0Ah 18v battery and 1.5A charger.

So a few questions, as I don't have a clue about voltage/battery capacity etc and what options/restrictions are (any explainer link is welcome thanks).

Does a spare battery have to be 18v but could be any Ah rating?
Is a higher Ah rating more powerful/longer battery life but takes longer to charge?
Is there a different charger I could use to charge my current 4.0Ah battery faster? 

What would you recommend, given I plan to get other Ryobi tools in future (not exactly sure what) so I can use same charger/s and batteries

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nickim1 

Let me try and answer your questions.

• Yes, you can get any spare battery as long as it is compatible with your One+ line trimmer. If you have the budget set aside, it would be better to get a One+ battery along with its charger with a higher Ah (ampere) as it provides a longer run time.

• A higher Ah rating means that it will take longer to charge but not by much and there are models with a fast charger set.

• It's best to use the charger that came with your battery set. It's specifically designed to work with your battery. I don't recommend mixing and matching chargers.

If you're looking to invest in a fast charging long running battery, I propose having a look at the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 6.0Ah Battery And 3A Fast Charger Starter Kit. The 6.0Ah Lithium Battery can power more than 100 tools in the ONE+ range, which includes tools for the garden, home, garage or campsite. This Lithium Battery has overload and deep discharge protection along with an on-board fuel gauge to check how much charge is left.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

thanks again Eric - what is an easy way for me to know which batteries are compatible with my Ryobi One+ 18v trimmer? There's nothing in the manual or that I can find on the Ryobi site.

Nicki

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nickim1 

The Ryobi One+ system has a logo at the top indicating that it is a part of the One+ 18V family. As long as you see that One+ logo it will be compatible with your line trimmer.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects