Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Little pineapple looking cute

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Little pineapple looking cute

piney2.JPG

We've had this little pineapple pop up a couple of weeks ago. It's a second-generation pineapple for us!

Several years ago my partner planted a pineapple top in a pot, it took root and a couple of years after that we got a nice big, juicy pineapple off the top of the new plant. She then took a pup or offset of that plant, put that in a pot and now here we are again. 

pineyii.JPG

I'm a bit worried that it might have arrived too late in the season and might just conk out in the cooler weather. I guess I'll find out.

Has anyone else grown their own pineapples? This great video by @Adam_W shows how easy it is to do. 

I also like the way Adam uses pineapple tops and pups for landscaping. Pineapples are part of the bromeliad family, so they can give your garden a bit of that tropical look.

Up here on the Gold Coast several years back some wag took to planting pineapple tops on traffic islands. Nobody noticed until a couple of years later when there were suddenly pineapples everywhere.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Little pineapple looking cute

Hi @BradN

That pineapple looks very promising. Make sure to post a picture once you harvest it. My wife has recently experimented with planting pineapples using @Adam_W's method of propagation. I'll be sure to post the results once it starts growing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @EricL. I will certainly post a photo if and when it gets big enough to eat!

Is your wife planting the tops of pineapples you've eaten, or is she taking pups off an existing plant? Is she putting them in pots or in the ground? Pineapples are a fun thing to grow. You kind of have to forget about them for a couple of years, but still remember to water them when they need it...

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BradN

We did the top cut off method. We don't have a lot of space, so they all went into pots. Don't know where I'll be putting them once they get super big. I'll keep an eye on them and make sure they get watered.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Nice one @EricL. I'm sure they'll be delicious!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects