Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Manchurian pear leaves browning and falling off

Dgeorge83
Just Starting Out

Manchurian pear leaves browning and falling off

20201217_210635.jpg

I recently bought 2 large manchurian pear from bunnings and they have been losing leaves. One is worse then the other but doing similar. 

Planted in the ground in reasonable ground. Mostly original top soil. The have both been given a dose of seasol and some fertiliser. 

Losing leaves at the base and top still looking healthy. There is also new growth on some branches that are losing leaves but also at the top.

They have been watered every few days as only planted about a month or so ago and we have had some hot windy days.

Any ideas for what is wrong or what we are doing wrong? And ideas to keep them healthy and alive?

Images attached as reference

20201217_210820.jpg

20201217_211011.jpg

  

20201217_211011.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: manchurian pear leaves browning and falling off

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dgeorge83. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Have you applied any mulch around these plants and how long are you watering for in these sessions? I'd be inclined to think they need a good 30 min soaking at least once a week and then additional waterings if the soil is dry 10cm down.

What type of soil are they planted in? I know you've said it is reasonable. However, it appears rather arid as indicated from the grass struggling.

What sort of temperatures were these hot days you've had and where approximately are you located? Those leaves look suspiciously burnt to me. Could you also let us know what fertiliser you used and how much?

Let me mention the knowledgeable @Adam_W to see if he can add to the conversation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: manchurian pear leaves browning and falling off

Hi @Dgeorge83 
Okay, I'm leaning towards the same sort of thoughts as @MitchellMc 
Those leaves are scorched, not just plain wilted.
Hot, dry wind can do that but excess fertiliser can too. Even too much seaweed-based product as if not adequately diluted the salt content may be high.
Did you put fertiliser in the planting hole or on the soil on top? Personally I never put it in the hole. Too much risk of damage to new roots. Better to add it on the surface and let it filter down.
Have you been keeping the water up to them? I'd like to see them mulched too and with a barrier around to prevent grass growing up to the trunk.
I'd also look at changing those stakes to at least two stakes. A single stake causes a tree to develop a weak trunk on one side as it won't develop what's called reaction wood.
I show some staking techniques in this video if that's of any use. https://youtu.be/eRGWuGQXreA

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Manchurian pear leaves browning and falling off

Hi @Dgeorge83,

Just wanted to also add my welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to see you receive such helpful and timely advice. If you could provide a little more information as per Mitch and Adam's replies, we'd be happy to assist further to save your trees.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects