Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mop top not looking good

dave85
Finding My Feet

Mop top not looking good

C95C4CD3-B54C-4935-BACC-8745ADE8E899.jpeg

36443AF0-8D17-4BB8-9618-C5C114B27B3D.jpeg

Not sure what is going on but this mop top was planted 2 weeks ago. Have I not watered it enough or? Cheers

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: mop top not looking good

@dave85 Welcome to the Workshop Community, I'm sure our helpful members will be able to give you some advice.

You may have already noticed under this post in the "you may also like" is a topic which seems to address a similar issue, perhaps worth a read.

@Adam_W gave some great advice there. Mop-Top-blues 

Personally I'm thinking those stones look great, but must be holding a significant amount of heat directly above newly planted roots.

How often have you been watering?

What is the condition of the soil it was planted in?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Mop top not looking good

Hi @dave85,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Great to see Mitch has jumped in and given you some terrific direction. Let me also tag the wonderful @Noelle as I know she will have some valuable advice regarding the garden pebbles.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Mop top not looking good

Hi @dave85 

Have to agree with @MitchellM here!  The leaves are very dry - it could be both lack of water and very hot, dry air - bit like putting a tree in a fan-forced oven.  It's best to wait until the sting has gone out of summer before planting - March-April would have been a better time.

The soil under the river pebbles will also be baking hot - no shade and full sun exposure.

Ir's always a good idea to thoroughly water the intended planting site 3-4 days before planting, then water the tree in well. Water deeply every few days for at least the next three or four weeks to keep the roots both cool and moist. A slow trickle, moving the hose around the trunk over the roots for a couple of hours will ensure water soaks in and doesn't run off the top.

Because it's going to be a moptop, it would be good to prune it back a bit on top now to reduce moisture loss through the leaves and to compensate for its small root system. Any obviously dead bits should be cut out completely.

Good luck!

Cheers mate, how often should I be watering it? I have moved stones from around the tree. Do you think I can save it? Soil is a bit of clay but I put some good soil in the hole and mixed it in. They said at the nursery that these trees are pretty hardy?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@dave85 @Noelle hopefully can answer that for you.

Personally I would get some seasol on it once a week, water every other day (5 minute soak) and cross my fingers.

If the soil has a solid clay layer you planted on top, just make sure you don't drown it.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects