Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My cabbage

Walter

My cabbage

Hey all,

I just wanted to brag about one of my cabbages.  I grew 6 cabbages, and for some reason, 1 Cauliflower only survived.

My cabbages were all about this size, and ended up in coleslaw and also steamed cabbages.

Fertiliser was pure worm tea from the worm farm, nothing else.  I had the cabbages and cauliflower covered with white netting to keep out the insects and birds throughout.

First cabbage for 2021First cabbage for 2021

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My cabbage

What a beauty, @Walter! It looks like that worm tea certainly works a treat. Does it get applied neat, or do you dilute the extracted liquid with water?

Did that cabbage taste as good as it looks?

Many thanks for sharing your enviable harvest.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc 

I water through the worm farm and collect the run off at the spigot, so I guess you could say diluted.

Yes, the taste is amazing, both in coleslaw and steamed. We also did some stuffed cabbage leaves.

The future plan is to dedicate a bit more room for the cabbages next year, in a different area of the garden, of course, and have a net over the whole area from the start.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Walter  wow impressive cabbage!! Why do you think that the cauliflower didn't do as well? I am quite keen to get a garden patch of my own started and LOVE cauliflower. 

Katie 

hey @KatieC 

Not sure why the Cauliflower only produced 1.  The caulies were in the same area as the cabbages, and they got the same treatment, and covered by the same mesh. They just never grew.

Maybe next time I'll plant them: cabbage, cauli, cabbage, cauli  etc instead of planting the caulies at the end of the row.

I will say this, the cauliflower that was successful was absolutely tasty, and enjoyed by all.

I'm preparing the area again for something new, not sure what yet.

Eva3053
Getting Established

That looks amazing! I am starting my veggy patch too and hopefully having something to share soon!  Here are my flowers in the meantimeHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 18.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 15.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 6.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 8.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 17.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 23.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 13.jpegHoa Quynh 2021-11-6 3000px - 2.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Walter  If you do end up doing an alternating plant, do let me know how it goes! And what new produce you decide to go with, kale or rocket would be yummy! 

@Eva3053  your flowers are just gorgeous, good luck with the veggie patch and let us know about your journey. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects