Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My version of a Hugelkultur raised garden bed

rattle
Super Contributor

Re: My version of a Hugelkultur raised garden bed

Just a small update for anyone who is interested...

I turned over the soil deeply for the first time the other day and pretty much everything other than the big logs and branches at the bottom have broken down.

Smaller twigs pretty much crumbled in my hands. Any leaves or cardboard in the upper layers are unrecognizable.

Very happy with how it has turned out and I would imagine that it would be a few years at least, before those big logs and branches broke down at the bottom.

Old-gal24
Super Contributor

It's been very interesting reading your article @rattle I did much the same when I built some big garden beds around the back of my home.  More so because I didn't like the idea of wheel-burrowing any more than I had too!  It took close to a 6 x 4 trailer load as it was.  I had lots of branches from neighbors overhanging tree's I needed to dispose of and was so over filling my green bins with them.  So thought why not fill up the large garden bed bases with them and all of the excess newspapers & cardboard boxes I had from moving here.  I haven't been as diligent as you.  I didn't do such exact layering.  And I haven't turned the garden beds over now it's been close to a year.  I also planted more permanent shrubs in mine.  Things are growing, so I figure all must be okay.

Thanks again for sharing.

This old gal

rattle
Super Contributor

Hi @Old-gal24.

That sounds superb!

I had no experience with it prior to my attempt and it's such a great concept for people wanting to dispose of such waste and great for people on a budget, where they only need to purchase and use just enough soil on top for whatever they are planting.

querencia
Junior Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this @rattle   What a great project. I did something similar to this about 10 years ago when turning 4 old bathtubs into raised garden beds. I used dead branches, leaves and horse poo. The crops were fantastic! The sweetest tomatoes ever, almost as sweet as lollies, and most abundant crops of peas. I had no idea that what I did was actually a real method!

mich1972
Valued Contributor

Very happy seeing this @rattle
Can’t wait to see all of your beautiful produce from it 🥰🥰

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects