Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My worms died :(

marajane
Just Starting Out

My worms died :(

We have a worm farm that was left in the sun therefore killing all our worms :unhappy: Whats the best way to get it back up and running?Live worms or eggs? And what do we do to get it working as normal again?

stock_red-worms.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: My worms died :(

Hi marajane

I've never had a worm farm but my guess why your worms died in this heat is that the depth of the soil is not deep enough to protect the worms..

In the wild (so to speak) the worms don't die because they can burrow deep into the ground to be protected from extreme heat..

Worms also need moisture, so you need to have dampness deep down..

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear about your poor worms @marajane. Hopefully helpful members will have some advice for you about whether to go with live worms or eggs, although I suspect either option is effective. 

In addition to @Prof's helpful advice, you might also be interested in this previous discussion - Worms: How do I get them?  

Welcome to the Workshop community. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@marajane  If you haven't already gotten to relocate your worm farm, that is where I would be starting.  As @Prof  said they need to be kept in a cooler darker place, moist but not drowning.

I don't pretend to have experience, but I volunteer at our local church community gardens and we have a worm farm, it an old metal bath tub, which is kept in the shade of a big tree, it doesn't get any direct sun.  We feed them with fruit & vegie scraps, which we chop up small and give them a drink which is just a spray with the watering can from our rain water tank.  We have the plug area set up with a tap system where we get the worm juice from to feed our garden/s.  We keep old Carpet over the top of the bathtub and keep it all moist.  Our worms are very healthy and give us lots of juice.

I know they aren't the same as good old earth worms, but it's the same principle.

All the best with your worms, and please keep us posted as I would like to hear how you are going with this task.

This old gal  :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects