Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need ideas for backyard

simonelouise
Finding My Feet

Need ideas for backyard

IMG_2350.jpeg

I have just moved into my new little home with three little

boys and trying to seek of any kind of advice where will I start by lifting the top of this dead grass and re-creating something new.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need ideas for backyard

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @simonelouise. We're pleased to have you join us at this exciting time. Congratulations on your new home. I'm sure you can put your stamp on it and make it wonderful for you and your boys.

So our clever and creative community members can assist you, can you please let us know how you would like to use this space? For example, would you simply like to have a new lawn? Or perhaps a cubby house for the boys? Or a garden where you can grow your own vegies? You might also like to show what's above the retaining wall so we can see the whole area.

I think you would benefit from reading the guide How to plan a garden makeover. It explains how the first step is always to make a list of your priorities and then break down the project into manageable steps so it doesn't feel so overwhelming. We'd certainly be happy to help along the way. Once you share a few more details, I can tag some helpful members to assist, plus we have our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts to help. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

image.jpg

Hi Jason my plans is to have a new lawn such as grass 

and put my beautiful outdoor setting there and barbeque and shaded umbrella.

as you can see up the back there’s a space for gardening I will continue to pull out and clean that area

Sounds great @simonelouise. Would you like to lay instant turf or grow a new lawn from seed?

The Bunnings team has helpful step-by-step guides for either project.

Jason

image.jpg

 this is my job done to far I’m not sure maybe instant turf but will I need to do first before I lay that instant turf? 

The Bunnings step-by-step guide How to lay turf should have everything you need @simonelouise.

Please have a look and let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Jason

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg

  as I have cleaned this area aswell I will also be laying turf here aswell There is a lot of dirt on top with the other products I will be getting will I have to flatten this excising dirt down or remove ? 
what is best ? 

Hi @simonelouise,

You've done some wonderful work so far! I'd recommend running a metal tine fork through the areas and trying to drag out any remaining roots whilst opening up the soil. You can then rake the areas flat and you'll be ready to lay your turf. The existing soil looks in quite good condition, but you might like to add some top dressing as it will improve it and help you level the areas.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects