Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need plant suggestions for front doorway

Elzara
Finding My Feet

Need plant suggestions for front doorway

1000007165.jpg

1000007164.jpg

 Hi all, 

I would like to put a plant on each side of the door (in front of the windows) to liven it up a little.

Could I have suggestions as to what would be suitable please?

Just before you get to the door is a shrub that has beautiful white flowers (no idea what it is..see second photo), so maybe something that would compliment that? (That shrub is about to be pruned to just above the railing).

I would like something tall/straight that won't block the doorway (windows are 450mm wide) and needs minimal pruning (some is okay, I'm just not experienced enough to have to regularly maintain a shape etc).

Definitely something that is hardy, easy to grow, doesn't rely on watering every day..if such thing exists.

I have terrible luck with plants even when I follow growing guides haha.

North facing, no direct sun, protected from wind.  

Oops ..forgot to mention I'm in Melbourne.

Thank you!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Need plant suggestions for front doorway

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Elzara. We're so excited to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with all your home improvement and gardening projects. 

Wonderful to see you make your first post. Let me tag our knowledgeable gardening experts @Noelle and @mich1972 - I trust they'll be happy to provide some plant recommendations for your front doorway. 

While waiting, you might also like to check out the Bunnings guide Seven best pot plants for your garden and home in case it helps. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need plant suggestions for front doorway

Hello @Elzara 

I have a few plants in my door front that are shade tolerant and are quite hardy. The Croton Petra - Codiaeum variegatum, Parlour Palm - Chamaedorea elegans and Bamboo Willowy - Bambusa multiplex cv Willowy. But it's important that they be established first before you transfer them to the shaded area.

They are not very demanding plants when it comes to maintenance. A regular watering schedule, topping up the soil when it starts to go down, fertilizing when necessary and the occasional trim to keep it looking nice and presentable. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects