Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Phalaenopsis orchids dried up

SeeYou
Finding My Feet

Phalaenopsis orchids dried up

I have about 5 small Phalaenopsis plants which I have put into clear pots with Sphagnum Moss. Since repotted all the leaves have fallen the stems dried up. Can I get any help or shall I dump the lot. Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

SeeYou

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: GARDENING

@SeeYou,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post! Welcome to the community and thanks for joining in the discussion. We trust that you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our ever-helpful members.

Let me tag some orchid growers and keen gardeners for you who might like to assist, including @Noelle@Isobel@Adam_W@PocketRocket and @robchin.

You might also find this Bunnings article helpful - How to care for orchids.

Good luck with your plants,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Phalaenopsis orchids dried up

@SeeYou, did the pots have adequate drainage? Did you happen to overwater them? Do the roots look soggy or mushy and dark in colour?

Thank you for your quick response, the drainage area is good (it's the clear pots) didn't overwater but today while I gave them a little sun I noticed that the green leaves were lying loose in the pot.(don't have the answer) The sun I expose them to is under a net East ward. All the stems are gone brown and I see a mould further down. Your valuable help please !!!!

Thanks,

SeeYou

Sorry for the slow reply @SeeYou. The mould that you mention has me worried that they were overwatered? Could it have been before you got them?

@SeeYou

Sorry I missed this earlier - I have been on holidays. How are they now? Have they died?
Most Orchids don't need to be potted up very often - only when they are busting out of the pots.
No direct sun in most parts of Australia - they don't like that.
In relation to watering - an expert grower told me the best way to water is to put two iceblocks on the top of the media and let them melt - watering done. Only needs this treatment periodically.
Drainage - don't ever let sit in water. They don't need it.

Good luck.

Re: GARDENING

Many thanks to the last reply. I need to tel you that all the ORCHIDS have died except for one which is still going. Now to give you the life of the plant goes like this.....

I was given 5 orchids in not so very good condition. I replanted them in Sphagnum Moss into the small cups that I got them in.

One is still alive but I don't think it will survive for very long. During the night I put it in the bathroom. With northwest sun placed under a net in the mornings for awhile. Tell me where I am going wrong.

Another Q do you know how to care for a Hoya plant which I was given because the previous owner was donating it.

Thanking you in advance for all you ideas and help.

SeeYou

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects