Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant health - How to revive Japanese weeping maple?

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Plant health - How to revive Japanese weeping maple?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

   

Hi everyone 

we recently moved to our new property and want to check if this plant has got some disease .

do we need to cut or trim?

Would it be good to retain?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: plant health

Hi @ron3alex,

That looks to be a Japanese weeping Maple that isn't particularly happy as it appears to have quite a few dead branches. They are deciduous and will lose their leaves around this time of year. However, those dead branches are slightly concerning. Since you've just moved to the property, it is a bit hard to diagnose what exactly is going on. You can trim back the dead branches, and hopefully, it will bud again next Spring.

Let me mention @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @ron3alex 
Japanese maples will often get small branches dying back if they have become too dry or been subjected to too much heat.
As @MitchellMc they will be losing their leaves at this time of year anyway so can get a wee bit confusing.
They do like a cooler position and if you're in a warmer zone keep the roots cool with a heavy layer of mulch and make sure they have good moisture during hot periods. Eve in the right temperature zones it's best that you don't let them ever get too dry.
Just trim off those dead branches and see how it goes come spring.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ron3alex 

Yes, I agree with both Mitchell and Adam_W - wait until all the leaves have dropped then cut off the dead pieces in winter. They will be easy to identify because they are white/grey while healthy branches will be brown-red. An application of a controlled release fertiliser in late winter/early spring and a layer of mulch approx 10cm deep over the roots should see it pick up next growing season.

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @MitchellMc for the information. Really helpful

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @Adam_W for your response. I will trim the leaves and see how it goes . Fingers crossed 😊

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @Noelle @for your information . I will follow your advice 😊

cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects