Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant pots, planters, and baskets - are they all safe for edible plants?

Melon
Finding My Feet

Plant pots, planters, and baskets - are they all safe for edible plants?

Are all plant pots, planters, and baskets sold at Bunnings safe for edible plants? I've asked Northcote, but they haven't answered. I'm thinking that herbs don't need to be in boring black plastic pots; they can be in funky pots, too, but are they safe?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plant pots, planters, and baskets - are they all safe for edible plants?

Hello @Melon 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about the pot's safety for edible plants.  

All of the pots and planters sold at Bunnings are fine for growing edible plants.

If you have any concerns about a pot you want to use, there are a few ways for you to ensure that your edibles are growing in a safe container. If for example, you are using a clay pot, but it is unsealed, you can do the pot within a pot technique. This is where you place a plastic pot of similar size inside the clay pot you want to use. Another way to do it is to line the inside of the pot with GRUNT 2 x 5m Black 140um Multi Use Plastic Film, just make sure to poke drain holes at the bottom so there will be a spot for the water to drain out of.

My other suggestion is to spray or cover the inside of the pot with a sealer such as Crommelin 1L Exterior Grade Brushable Waterproofer. Suitable for permanent immersion and storage of potable water.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle, @mich1972 and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Melon 

Plastic pots are quite safe. Glazed ceramic/clay pots are also safe because they are sealed. Porous terracotta pots do not release/leach anything into potting mixes or soils, nor do coir or felt basket liners. There are no toxic chemicals in any of them that could cause you harm.

In fact, it would be safe to say that the vast majority of pots, planters, baskets and liners sold in Australian hardware and gardening retailers are safe for the growing of edibles.

Plants generally take up the nutrients they require to grow, flower and fruit (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, magnesium, etc) from their environments. If there are minute traces of other elements in the potting mix or containers, they are so insignificant as to be of no concern at all.

Melon
Finding My Feet

Re: Plant pots, planters, and baskets -are they all safe for edible plants

Thanks, @EricL

That's what I've been doing - pot within a pot, but lately, new decorative pots don't quite match the standard black plastic pots. So I thought to directly use them, but afraid it may not be safe.

Great advice on the waterproofer; that's new and innovative.

Cheers,

Thanks, @Noelle great to know that majority of pots, planters, and baskets are safe.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Melon 

Thanks for asking that question. It's probably something that a few people would be thinking about. So good to have a discussion about it. As always there has been some excellent responses on this already. All of the pots and planters you will find at retailers like Bunnings will be OK to use. They are either made from materials that are non-toxic or won't leach so aren't taken in by your plants. You can always seal yourself if you are concerned as per Eric's comments below. I work for Bunnings and we also have this product which is purpose-made for this sort of thing: Bondall 300g Aerosol Pot and Ornament Sealer - Bunnings Australia

So no concern over pots that you buy at nurseries and garden centres like Bunnings BUT if you are making your own wooden planters or buying these - then you do need to be a bit careful about these, particularly if they are chemically treated. You might want to seal these with a water-based paint. 

Hope that helps. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects