Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planting suggestions wanted for in front of fence

jegan
Getting Established

Planting suggestions wanted for in front of fence

Hi. I’ve just taken down an unruly creeper from the patio fence. Thought about planting 2-3 Magnolias in front of the fence but worried about sun damage. Any suggestions for alternatives. It will be partial shelter but full midday sun. ( green fountain can be moved)

IMG_5699.jpegIMG_5698.jpegIMG_5701.jpegIMG_5700.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Planting suggestions wanted for in front of fence

Hi @jegan 

Have you thought about putting in some clumping bamboo. They provide excellent shade once established and are very hardy. They are not difficult to maintain and can be trimmed to the height that you want.

Let me tag @mich1972 and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jegan,

if you are interested in clumping bamboo as per Eric’s reply, please check out this guide by experienced member @Adam_W - https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/How-To/How-to-select-and-grow-clumping-bamboo/ba-p/99951

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jegan 

There are lots of screening plants you could use - the final choices will depend largely on your location and the aspect.

The following discussion may be helpful, particularly Adam_W's response.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jegan,

Given the limited space, I'm unsure whether magnolias would be the best choice for that garden bed. I'd suggest that once established, their roots will start to damage the paving. Here are a couple of useful guides you might like to read through: How to choose plants for your garden and How to choose a screening plant.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects