Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

Bunnings_shutterstock_123529699_crop.jpg

Spring has sprung, and lawn mowers across the country are getting a workout.

Our latest poll asks whether you ever leave your grass clippings on the lawn to help put nutrients back into your soil and lawn, or whether you fastidiously collect every last cut blade. 

Please vote using the poll on the front page of Workshop. And feel free to reply below telling us more about your backyard mowing regimen.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baz
Growing in Experience

Re: Poll: Do you leave your grass clippings on the lawn?

I've heard that leaving some clippings on the lawn is good to mulch or fertilise the lawn, but I reckon at this time of year you wouldn't want to leave it all on. You need to make sure the grass gets plenty of sun. And remember not to mow too low. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Totally agree with @Baz, we had a Flymo hover mower, which mulched the

clippings very finely & left the lawn looking neat. No problem in the drier seasons, the mulch sheltered the turf, quickly broke down, & returned nutrients.

In the wetter seasons, the damp mulch clogged the lawn, eventually suffocated it, & black mold set in.

From my experience, you're better off collecting your clippings in the wetter months, & dealing with them in composting bays, bins, or tumblers.

Helen
Having an Impact

Sometimes I would but now I have a Ryobi rechargable mower with catcher as am getting older & have lost strength in arms etc. It is good for lawn & may try to tie the flap up occasionally. I have found the lawn needs to be dry which we haven,t had of late but that's a good thing!

popawisky
Getting Established

Depends on the length of grass and weed content.

If the grass is high or weedy then disposing the clippings is a sound strategy. For a weel cared for lawn then using a mulching plug on the lawnmower is the way to go. This adds some nutrient to the lawsn and also prevents burning from the sun.

My thoughts anyway. Mulching is also easier for us oldfarts.

pete

tetris36
Growing in Experience

The 'Its good for the lawn dear' line doesn't cut it when the kids come inside covered in clippings from falling over outside. Green waste bin if weedy, compost if grassy.
Plus the boys love playing with rakes, brooms & their little gardening gloves so it becomes a fun game to put the clippings away. I would feel terrible taking away from their positive attitude.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Workshop community is evenly divided. Exactly 50 per cent of members leave their grass clippings on the lawn, while the other half make sure the clippings are removed.

LawnClippings.png

Thanks for voting in the poll. Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below.

Jason

Annette
Making a Splash

No, we don't leave grass cuttings on the lawn. We place the grass clippings as well as any other garden "waste" in to one of 3 compost tumblers. Whave a small to medium vegetable garden and we need the compost to continually enrich our soil.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

As its springtime and the grass is about to take off again, it's time to revive this poll topic and see if we can get the definitive verdict from the Workshop community. 

Add your vote to the poll on the front page and feel free to add your comments below.

Jason

Stephen-H
Building a Reputation

I have a rideon mower with a mulching plug and have not collected the clippings for years. Our one acre of lawn looks great most of the year. We do live in the Mildura area so no real hassels over winter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects