Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Port Wine Magnolias as screening

suequarford
Building a Reputation

Port Wine Magnolias as screening

f02bd657-0c07-4ac5-9293-0bd2c49ded39.jpg

Hi Guys

Am planning a garden bed along the front of my front yard. It faces Nth East and is very sunny. I love port wine magnolias and am thinking they'd make a good screening plant? Anyone have any bad experiences or knowledge of why they may not suit?

Very interested in your thoughts :smile:

Thanks

Sue

suequarford
Building a Reputation

Re: Port Wine Magnolias as screening

Hi Stevie

Thanks for being interested. They are going so well and are currently giving beautiful fragrance across the whole yard 🥰.

20211105_171827.jpg

20211105_171749.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suequarford

Thank you so much for the update. Your Port Wine Magnolias look healthy, strong and I'm sure are very fragrant. Let me tag @Stevie to make her aware of your updated photos. Do you have any new garden plans lined up? Perhaps new plants coming into the garden? 

Again, thank you for the update, we look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Lovely. It looks like your front yard is thriving.

Thanks for sharing an update @suequarford.

Stevie

suequarford
Building a Reputation

Hi All,

Here is an update of how it's all going.. Port Wine Magnolias each end with Camelia Sasanquas in the middle for hedging. They've been in a couple of years now and are doing fantastically, particularly the Port Wine Magnolias 20220921_105844.jpg20220921_105913.jpg 

Hello @suequarford

Many thanks for sharing that update. Glad to know your plants are doing well, especially those Port Wine Magnolias. They look beautiful and healthy.

You've done an amazing job taking care of those screening plants. Any tips or tricks you've learnt along the way on how to ensure they stay healthy?

For followers of this discussion who may be interested in growing their own screening plants, I also recommend checking out gardening expert @Adam_W's guide on How to choose a screening plant for useful advice.  

Thanks

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @suequarford

Thank you so much for posting those photo updates. Those Port Wine Magnolias look absolutely gorgeous and the rest of your plants look very healthy. It's amazing how quickly they grew, give it a few more years and that will become a solid wall of plants.

We look forward to seeing your next update.

Eric

suequarford
Building a Reputation

Hi Akanksha,

I give the plants cow manure and fertilizer twice a year, and re-mulch when it breaks down. I also water the garden regularly but haven't needed to do that with all the rain we are getting! 

Cheers,

Sue

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects