Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Potted bamboo going brown

Gavlow
Finding My Feet

Potted bamboo going brown

HELP PLEASE I am a novice gardener!! I have just moved into a house that has 3 outdoor pots with bamboo in them. They seem to be going brown despite me watering them most days. They have some morning sun but protected the rest of the day. What water should I use? Are they getting too much sun? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: POTTED BAMBOO

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gavlow. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Could we trouble you for some images of the bamboo? It would help tremendously with trying to determine what the issue might be. Do the pots have drainage holes in them as watering most days could be excessive?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Gavlow & welcome.
I'm going to guess that it's some form of clumping bamboo.
The bamboos do like lots of water but, as @MitchellMc asked... if there drainage in the pots? They may be waterlogged.
An issue too is this... any of the bamboos will grow in pots but they are rarely very happy unless the pots are enormous. They can get crowded quickly but it's more that they are the sort of plant that most of them really just don't like pots.
To keep them happy in a pot they need regular water with good drainage, reliable feeding, something like an Osmocote once or twice a year, and then regular liquid feeding. They'll also need re-potting as they get crowded.
The browning could be over-watering or it may be a response to hot, dry windy days.
Hope this is of some sort of help.

Hey Mitchell - thanks for the reply. I checked this morning and there is one hole in the bottom of the pots shown in the photo.Bamboo1.jpgBamboo.jpg

Thanks Adam - all really helpful info.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects