Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Potted climbers for privacy

mikechin
Getting Established

Potted climbers for privacy

Hello. We have a 2m high wooden frame / pergola / awning to the north and west sides of our house. Please see photos. Wisteria used to grow there but we have cut it down to prevent its roots from drying out the reactive clay under our foundations. Can you please recommend a less invasive type of climbers we can grow in pots suitable for our wooden frame that will provide shade and privacy with roots that stay in their pots? Ideally the climber type on the north side sheds in winter to allow light while the climber type on the west side is ever green to block the setting sun and for privacy. Ideally they flower too. What size and type of pot should we use? Can we place the pot on a porous stone surface or paver so that the roots don’t grow out of the pot through the drainage hole? Would sandstone or bluestone pavers work or something else? Many thanks in advance. 

E232FA83-F0F2-4432-B3E0-DF41F2949E54.jpeg

83AB841A-BB8E-4169-A34B-B90470FF59ED.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Potted climbers for privacy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mikechin. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about climbing vines.

Why not replant Wisteria in pots? It looks like it was flourishing in that location, and their dense foliage makes them ideal for this application. Hardenbergia would be another evergreen option that has dark purple flowers. Star Jasmine is not an invasive grower and is delightfully perfumed by the white flowers. An Ornamental Grape would be great on the Northside as it drops its leaves in winter, but only minute flowers there. Bougainvillea will drop their leaves in cooler climates and has beautiful flourishes of flowers. Other options you might like to consider are Climbing Rose, Mandevilla and Pandorea. All great choices. 

Select the largest pot you can find if you want expansive growth covering the entire wooden frame. Once a plant outgrows its pot, it will send roots out looking for more space. Adding a weedmatting in the bottom of the pot will allow drainage but prevent roots from escaping. As an alternative to a pot, you might like to build a raised garden bed. That would provide ample room for the roots whilst also keeping them contained. Here's a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to build a raised garden bed and How to fill a raised garden bed.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Adam_W and @Noelle, to see if they have any other suggestions.

Please let us know if you have more questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

Hi @mikechin

Mitchel has certainly come up with some great options for you. Perhaps you could think about a black passionfruit and/or Banksia rose too as both will grow in pots.

The weedmat suggestion in the base of the pot to prevent roots running wild is a great idea.

Good luck!

mikechin
Getting Established

Thanks Noelle

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello my name is Brenda nice to meet you . I did work in a plant nursery for several months before returning to nursing. I don’t know that I learned much except for it elderly chap I drove nuts with questions.There are so many climbers and colours.You may have heard of the Bougainvillea but I am not sure if it has deep roots.My favourite is the Dark Red Mandevilla. I had one on each side of my front door in pots for years. Then I took the grandkids to see the lights at some ones house  and they had them in big pots heaped together all along the carport. I have never forgotten and will be up to no good soon. Oh it has shallow roots.w saw some gorgeous ones at bunnings and when I get my zip card down I will be back.Please check with Adam he is the expert b🌺

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects