Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Potting table

Catldoo
Cultivating a Following

Potting table

My husband and I are both newly retired and are keen to remain busy and active.  

I had been talking about wanting a potting table for some time and looking on line for inspiration.   The Bunnings potting table was ideal as it came with a video and step by step instructions.   A couple of measurements were a little out so we adjusted the design a so as not to waste any of the materials we had bought, cut to size in the Bunnings cutting shop.

Overall the end result was wonderful, not a bad job for an ex-accountant!

242543452_3033961930171490_3921160381093262017_n.jpg242798445_4176302472478863_8413162056988985371_n.jpg241504378_621138569208489_4451402040456967474_n.jpg241468268_266655155309717_9091848590530991204_n.jpg242038755_894625534819345_8054324319512339306_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Potting Table

Hello @Catldoo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your potting table project.

What a beautifully built potting table. Have you been doing occasional projects before you built this potting table? It looks very well made and the colours you've chosen suit it perfectly. How long did it take to build the table? If you are currently building another project please don't hesitate to post it. Our ever-helpful members will be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

We look forward to your next creation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic, @Catldoo! Well done.

I'm so pleased to hear that our How to build a D.I.Y. potting bench guide was helpful. I'll include the video below as I trust many of our members will be eager to make one themselves after seeing your amazing effort.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Catldoo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell.   

If anyone else plans on having a go be aware that the bottom deck cladding should measure 1140mm, not 1060 as in the plans.   

We had everything cut as per the materials list so had decking that was too short.  We used these instead for the back-wall,  cutting them down and using them vertically instead of horizontally,  and then used the back-wall decking on the bottom shelf.

We also found the height of the table top too high when the wheels were added and removed them so we had a more reasonable height to work at. The finished height without wheels is 920mm.

The materials list also indicated 8 ends.   We used 4.

Another adjustment we made was to add to the depth so as to have a bigger working area as we had planned on having a shelf.

All in all easy to follow directions,  and we were very happy with the end result.

PS.  When I say "we". my husband did all the building while I was the foreman!😀   

I did however do most of the painting!  A team effort.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'll pass that feedback onto our team @Catldoo, so they can have a look at making some changes to the article.

Many thanks once again.

Mitchell

Catldoo
Cultivating a Following

I thought I should give an update to my Potting Table post.

I have had lots of use of my Potting Table and while it is great for storage of all my bits and pieces and potting of plants, I found that the spacing of the boards on the work surface allowed dirt and water to fall through to everything stored underneath.

After looking for an easy solution I found that the Bunnings bbq mat, which I think was only $17.00 was the perfect length and only needed a trim of the width for it to fit.  Now not only does everything underneath stay clean and dry, but the actual work bench is easier to sweep down or even on occasion hose down.20220721_102241.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good idea, many thanks for sharing @Catldoo

Looking forward to seeing what projects you tackle next.

Jason

janelled
Building a Reputation

Re: Potting table

Looks great @Catldoo !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects