Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparing planter soil

Maryam90
Just Starting Out

Preparing planter soil

Hi 

I'm preparing my planter boxes. I am wondering what's tge best recipie for the soil? 

I have typical soil and blood and bone. Anything else is needed to be added? Or should I fill the bottom of the planter with something else for better drainage?

Thanks for your help 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: preparing planter soil

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maryam90. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Here's a fantastic article on How to fill a raised garden bed written by one of our members @Noelle. I trust you'll find plenty of information relevant to filling your planters within it. 

I'm a big fan of adding cow manure to my soil and you should certainly consider adding aggregate to the bottom for proper drainage.

Please let us know if you have additional questions and I trust our community members would be more than happy to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: preparing planter soil

Hi @Maryam90 and @MitchellMc 

I would add compost (home made or bagged) into the mix as well as the soil, blood & bone and cow manure.  To retain moisture while draining freely you need to bulk up the organic content a bit, like you would with any garden bed when preparing for planting.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects