Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Quince tree pests

zotz87
Finding My Feet

Quince tree pests

Hi, we have a gorgeous quince tree, the problem is every year the fruits are ruined by worms, how can we stop this? What would be the best pesticide to use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Quince tree pests

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zotz87. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It would appear that the likely culprits are either codling moth or fruit fly. Codling moths don't like clean trees and gardens, so remove all the debris from around your tree and any that gets stuck in the fork of branches. You can use Yates 200ml Success Ultra Insect Control or Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide to kill the larvae, so you'll need to spray before and during the development of the fruit. If you wrap corrugated cardboard around the tree's trunk leading up to fruiting, the larvae like to pupate and sheltered within it. Every couple of weeks, remove the cardboard and place it in a plastic bag left in the sun to kill the larvae.

For fruit flies, you can hang Amgrow Cera Trap 600ml Organic Fruit Fly Traps.

Let me mention our expert horticulturists @Noelle and @Adam_W, to see if they have some advice.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @zotz87 

Looks like Mitchell has you pretty well covered.  Good control from fruit set until harvest is critical if you want to pick ripe fruits free of pests and the products and methods he's mentioned should take care of it for you.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @zotz87 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. These are good suggestions from @MitchellMc  and @Noelle my other suggestion is more labor intensive but will protect your fruit with no chemicals involved. Once the tree has flowered and the fruit has started to come out once they are the size of 20C coins use a zip lock bag on every fruit you can cover. It is a well practiced form of protection in Japanese farming and it has been used for hundreds of years before the introduction of chemical control. Using a sandwich sized bag cut a little bit of the bottom corners of the bag at a 45 degree angle. This will allow trapped moisture to escape and not rot the fruit. Simply press the locking seal until you reach the stem you then use tape at the ends near the stem to prevent the bag from opening in strong wind or rain. Keep an eye as the fruit grows as some will fall prey to worms that have already laid their eggs in the young fruit. It is an alternative if you are very sensitive to chemical sprays or inorganic chemicals that may have seeped in to the fruit. Either way will stop the worms and you get to enjoy your quince!

Cheers,

Red

Credit to : https://www.theimpatientgardener.com/bag-it-up-how-to-protect-fruit-from/

Screenshot_2021-04-07 BAG IT UP HOW TO PROTECT FRUIT FROM INSECT ATTACK The Impatient Gardener.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Great alternative advice @redracer01 !

Thank you for the advice

will be sure to give it as go next season

Thank you for the tips!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects