Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden bed on top of tiles?

robbo62
Finding My Feet

Raised garden bed on top of tiles?

Hi all,i have received a 1m. square raised garden bed for christmas,the problem is the garden bed only has sides and no bottom to it,but the real problem is i only have terracotta tiles in the backyard and no grass area,can someone please advice me how am i able to solve the problem thanks,or am  i able in insert some sort of cloth for the soil and im assuming drainage might be an issue also ,thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Raised garden bed on top of tiles?

Welcome to Workshop @robbo62. I'm sure our ever-helpful Workshop community members will have some suggestions for you to make the most out of your new raised garden bed. How high are the sides?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason the sides are 30cm high and are corrugated iron 

Bliv
Cultivating a Following

I have a raised garden bed on pavers.
I used (approx. 20mm size) quartz gravel in the bottom to get the soil off hot pavers but also to aid in drainage. I also rinsed the gravel free of dust.
then I used a layer of geofabric over the gravel and up the sides before filling it with soil..

Thanks Bliv that sounds very helpful, I will try your idea as it covers drainage and lining for the soil. Greatly appreciated 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop @Bliv. It's fantastic to have you as part of the community. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden or anytime you have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. 

Welcome, 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects