Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Redoing front lawn

joewinlee
Getting Established

Redoing front lawn

Hi all

I have a 7 x 13 m front lawn which needs redoing.  I'm planning to install my own pop-up sprinklers on the sides (or should I go through the middle? Change my mind).  If I go on the sides, is enough to go down one side or go on both sides?  I'm thinking of installing them along the 13m side.

I've been doing some seeding as well to regrow the turf, will post pictures of my progress soon!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Redoing front lawn

Hi @joewinlee,

Welcome to Workshop. I am so sorry that you didn't receive a timely reply to your post during my absence from the community, but I'm sure there will be members happy to help you with your project. Have you made any progress as yet?

When I saw your post I immediately thought of the new sprinkler install shared by @Prawns, which includes loads of great photos and even a video of what he's done. Members like @Prawns and @Adam_W would I'm sure be happy to assist you.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. Thanks again for joining in the discussion, and we look forward to seeing how your lawn is transformed, as well as other projects around the house and garden that you might like to tackle in the future. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @joewinlee & welcome!

Regarding your sprinklers... couple of issues to think about... pop-ups require a reasonably high level of water pressure to work well.
You need to consider the throw or range of the heads you're looking at make sure that coverage will be adequate and even.
If a system isn't set-up correctly (to match water pressure & size) then it's not unusual to have areas that end up dry.
The reason professionals tend to install a system with heads down both sides of a lawn is two-fold -
1) - as sprays are circular in nature heads can be put in opposing positions on either side and this can give you 100% coverage.

2) - this allows you to create a 'pressure loop' which is absolutely essential for pop-ups to work and is good practice on any watering system. Simply - hose/pipe comes from tap and goes to a T-junction. One continuous pipe is then run, with the sprinklers along it. This way when the tap is opened pressure in the line equalises and you’ll get roughly equal pressure coming out of each head. If you run a dead-end line your first sprinkler will run at full-bore while the last on the line probably won’t even pop up. If you only run down one side you can still have a pressure loop by putting elbows in at the far end to return the line and running a blank pipe back to the start if that makes sense.

Okay, not sure if I’ve actually answered your questions but hope this is of some help.
You may find my vido on installing irrigation helpful too.

joewinlee
Getting Established

Good stuffs @Adam_W I'll give it a go one of these weekends when the weather is warmer.

Looking forward to seeing the end result @joewinlee. Please keep in touch.

Jason

joewinlee
Getting Established

hey guys, so I've installed my pop up sprinklers in over the long weekend. (someone tell me how to post photos)

I've since realised my water pressure is not strong enough, or the polypipe got stuck somewhere. In any case, my layout is as follows:
----S---S---S---S---S---S
I----S---S----I
"S" being the sprinkler

Basically it's one line with 3 sprinklers, then from the 3rd sprinkler, a loop with 5 more sprinklers and back to the 3rd.

that diagram did not appear as I planned. hah

Hi @joewinlee,

Sharing photos on Workshop is easy. Just hit the reply button and you'll get access to the full text editor. You'll find a button that looks like a camera, or can click on the large Upload Images button below the text field. 

Please let me know if you have any further trouble.

Jason

joewinlee
Getting Established

Here they are

beginning of loopbeginning of looploop with 5 pop-upsloop with 5 pop-upsNovember 2019November 2019May 2019May 2019first 2 pop-upsfirst 2 pop-ups

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects