Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing Onion weed from Buffalo Grass

TimD
Growing in Experience

Removing Onion weed from Buffalo Grass

Does anyone know of any tried and tested methods to remove Onion weed from Buffalo Grass (Sit Walter)?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing Onion weed from Buffalo Grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TimD. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

There are only two ways I know to be effective in removing onion weed. Applying Yates Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate 490 onto them with a paintbrush or using a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush and digging the bulbs out by hand. There are no selective weed sprays that I know of that will not kill the grass as well. You might need a couple of applications of the Glyphosate as the bulbs can re-shoot. If you decide to dig them out by hand ensure you collect all the bulbs when removing.

You might like to read through these previous discussions on onion weed:

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TimD
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, I am realising that  it will be no easy task!

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Tim

Well, not quite mate.  There is a selective onion weed killer, it's called Pro Force Duke 100WG, available in 100g and 500g.  But there's a catch, it costs like $230 for 100g.  Available from specialty lawn stores and at another rip-off price.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tonto. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

It's great to see that there is another option out there. I'd agree that the price does sound quite extreme. I'll be sticking with the digging out by hand method as that's well out of my gardening budget.

We look forward to hearing about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects