Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retaining garden bed

katy
Getting Established

Retaining garden bed

Hello.

I am very new and novice to the DIY thing. Have been watching keenly and reading most of the comments.

I want to build a raised bed against the fence. I have heaps of queries.
1. Do I drill a sleeper to the fence?

2. What wood should I opt for?

3. What soil do I go for?

any little information would be gladly received.

thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retaining garden bed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katy. It's splendid to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Could you provide some details on the height and width or your intended garden bed? I would be of the opinion that you are best to construct a freestanding garden bed next to the fence instead of against it. It's not always a great idea to rely on a fence to provide structural strength to a garden bed and I'm sure your neighbours wouldn't be very impressed if the fence failed due to it.

You should find these step-by-step guides helpful: 

You'll find the Whites Retain-iT system makes it very easy to build your own freestanding garden bed and Adam uses this system in the above guides. 

If you intend to grow edible crops within the bed our Micropro Sienna Pine Sleeper would be a good option. 

A premium potting mix is suggested for filling the garden bed.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
katy
Getting Established

Hello.

Thanks for replying, this helps to a lot of extent. Am looking for 40m height. Something like the given pic. I am not keen on drilling the fence too, have taken a prior permission of the neighbors just in case. 

E43B3956-5456-4B37-845B-53C2F5FD415D.jpeg

katy
Getting Established

46B1D677-0195-43B8-A394-012B1D5BD6A8.jpeg

82F1034F-E51C-4FEE-A04E-FCEF36A72D4F.jpeg

 Thank you. It’s all coming together with all your guidance and hubby’s skill. Used the Retain-it post 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks fantastic @katy. Well done.

Please give us a shout if you need a hand with anything else around the house and garden. I'm sure your confidence is growing after this terrific result, so we're looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects