Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rose bush bugs

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Rose bush bugs

Hi all.

I have a rose bush in a pot which recently started having little green bugs covering the stems. Not sure how, why.. any help would be great please !

Cheers    

20200816_131633.jpg

20200816_110807.jpg

20200816_110759.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rose Bush bugs

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

It appears you have a decent-sized infestation of aphids there. All kinds of aphids like roses as they suck the sap out of the rose tissues and excrete a sweet material, called honeydew, that attracts ants, and ants protect aphids from some of their natural predators.

There are a few ways to deal with aphids quite effectively. In order of increasing potency, Eco Organic Garden 750ml Ready To Use Eco OilYates 750ml Ready To Use Pyrethrum Insecticide and Yates 750ml Mavrik Gun. You can also try a few drops of dishwashing soap into a spray bottle of water and apply it liberally all over the plant and under the leaves.

I would normally suggest the Eco oil but it looks likes a considerable population so I would advise going straight for the Pyrethrum. If you really want to stop them in their tracks you can bring out the Mavrik gun. Since aphids are a sap-sucking insect, you'd want to apply something sooner rather than later.

Let me mention the fantastic and very knowledgable @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they have a preferred method of removing aphids.

Please let me know if you need further information or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much. I'll purchase some soon. They are definitely sucking the life out of the bush so it'll be great to get rid of them.

Thanks again.

----

Tried this and it worked a treat ! 

Thanks again 

Rufaro

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

It's great to hear that the recommendation worked out well for you. What product did you end up using as I trust our members would like to know?

Please keep us updated on your roses progress as I'd be interested to see it in bloom.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects