Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sap and branch dying off on my fruit trees

genevieve
Finding My Feet

Sap and branch dying off on my fruit trees

Hello I just inherited couple of fruit fruits I’ve noticed amber sap coming out in say 5c ball sizes  on the end of the branches and that section has died off some the leaves are all floppy I think that the start of what ever is happening on the other branches 

I read up could possible be a disease called cankers ? Would that be correct or could it be borers ? 
please help I don’t want them to die 

2BEB4335-E80A-4CB9-B8B1-6F72748D3AC8.jpeg

8DF8DB1C-A0E7-4473-BCB1-FEA222E3BAC1.jpeg

  

C0A2CD4C-5E15-424E-A421-E1663A11D031.jpeg

BF403D38-9753-4D80-B71B-9D8DF933B238.jpeg

  

8AC5C5CB-4F9A-4836-A5CB-A60677293C32.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sap and branch dying off on my fruit trees

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @genevieve. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

As you have read it is most likely weeping sap due to either canker, borers, environmental stress or physical trauma.

Physical trauma is more likely to be found at the base as the damage is normally caused by whipper snippers. If the weeping is occurring on those small branches then I find it unlikely to be borer as they would normally attack older wood and frass or sawdust can be seen at the sites.

I would think it is probably canker which is a bacterial infection. The bacteria are opportunistic and take advantage when the tree is at its most susceptible when coming out of dormancy. You certainly don't want to prune at this time of year as the wounds will take some time to heal. Prune in warmer months with sharp secateurs and the wounds will close up much quicker limiting the bacterias ability to enter the sites. It would be a good idea now to remove dead and dying branches, clean up all fallen leaves and plant material on the ground and dispose of it in the bin.

Canker is something that you need to try to prevent and manage when it has occurred. A good feed with fruit and citrus fertiliser will help the plants to overcome the issues.

Let me mention our expert Horticultralists @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they would like to add to the conversation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Have to agree with @MitchellMc that the most likely cause is a bacterial disease such as canker. There's a good NSW Department of Primary Industries Fact Sheet on Bacterial Canker and, while it is written primarily for orchardists, it is certainly worth reading for information on how best go about eradicating it.

@Noelle 

@MitchellMc

Oh dear 

ok so should I cut off the dead infected branches now ? 

Or wait till after it fruits ? 
thanks 🙂

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Anything that is obviously dead should be cut off now.  Dispose of prunings in household rubbish to prevent spread from infected wood to healthy wood.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects