Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Save garden from weeds

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Save garden from weeds

I have been struggling to clean up weed garden and bring back some grass. I have applied this product from amgrow

it has killed small weeds( bindie) but still others are there 

1) Big leaves weed ( crab grass or some other variety as in the image below ) 

2) broad leaves with yellow flower not sure about name 

Question 1 how can i get rid of the remaining weeds 

Then i am planning to put grass seeds is this good 

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 20.24.15.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 20.24.16.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 20.24.16 (1).jpeg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Save garden from weeds

Thanks for jumping in to the discussion with a great question @DexterOz

I'm sure you'll get some great advice on how to improve the condition of your lawn from the gardening gurus in the Bunnings Workshop community, @Noelle and @Adam_W. In the meantime there is a bit more information on how to weed your lawn available here.  If you'd like some more specific advice about the best treatment for eradicating different types of weeds, you can always take the weeds from your garden into your local Bunnings store where you'll find someone able to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DexterOz 

Clover, bindii, creeping oxalis, dandelions and other broadleaf weeds can be eradicated with a selective broadleaf lawn weeder product.  There are several different brands available in Bunnings so ask a team member if you are unsure which would be best in your situation. Make certain the one you use is safe to use on your grass type. To be on the safe side, look for a product that says it can be used on buffalo lawns, which means it is probably safe for most types of grass.

Crabgrass needs special treatment - the usual broadleaf weedicides generally won't work on it. Look for a specific crabgrass killer and follow the directions.

When your lawn is weed-free, aerate it, rake off all the dead weeds and lawn thatch, topdress and then sow a lawn seed suited to your existing grass. If you have a buffalo lawn and are faced with large areas of bare soil, consider buying a metre or so of instant turf to cover them. Make sure you do the prep correctly before laying turf.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dexter,

In addition to the comprehensive advice offered by both @JaneK and @Noelle, here are several step-by-step guides you should find useful: 

A suitable selective broadleaf weed killer would be Yates 250ml Buffalo Pro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weedkiller Concentrate. As suggested by @Noelle, this is safe for Buffalo lawns and suitable for most common grass types. For the crabgrass, I would recommend Brunnings 500ml Paspalum Kill Selective Herbicide.

The Hortico 1kg Tough And Drought Hardy Lawn Seed you have selected is a mix of fast-growing, tough lawn seed blended to suit most Australian conditions. If you know what the lawn was originally, you could purchase that type of seed. If you have a couch lawn, then you would purchase Hortico 500g Couch Lawn Seed.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc for sharing the information.

I am not sure what grass is there currently so i just picked Hortico. I am not sure which that broad leaf weed is i googled and assumed its crabgrass can you please confirm from pics so i will get the relevant product Brunnings or Yates.

Steps which i am following 

1) weed killer (2-3 weeks )

2) aerate 

3) seeds sowing 

Is this ok 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DexterOz

If you are not aware of the grass, then the Hortico product will be suitable. That appears to be crabgrass, and the Brunnings 500ml Paspalum Kill Selective Herbicide will remove it. After you aerate your lawn, I would then apply a 40mm layer of Hortico 25L Lawn Top Dress Mix, so the seeds have something nice to germinate in.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects