Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sealing drainage holes in a ceramic pot to reuse for water plants

Caro
Growing in Experience

Sealing drainage holes in a ceramic pot to reuse for water plants

20201119_104118.jpg20201119_104208.jpg

Hi.  I want to reuse this large ceramic pot for my water lillies.  I have read that the best way to do this is use plastic cut from a large plastic juice bottle, use sealant to stick the plastic to the pot, then use a pond sealant on the interior.  I have looked at using Selleys Multipurpose Silicon Sealant to form the seal with the plastic on the interior, then using Crommelin Sandstone Pond Sealant on the entire interior.  Thanks for any help you could give me.  Caro  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing drainage holes in a ceramic pot to reuse for water plants

Hi @Caro,

What you have described would work quite well. For an alternative method, you might like to read through my response in the discussion Easiest to block drainage holes? by @Ryinth

I would stick the plastic on the interior of the pot and then once it is dry fill up the holes on the outside with silicone as well. Coating the inside of the pot with a pond sealant would be a fantastic step to ensure no leakage.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
grevillea21
Finding My Feet

I would like to plug a pot with a hole in the base so that I can put in some water plants and hope for some tadpoles :).  I have read  your responses re similar requests but would like your comment to the Nursery's advice which is to use a Selley's product called Knead-It.   Would using this product work as well or would you still recommend using plastic and silicone?  Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @grevillea21

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about sealing the holes in your ceramic pot.

I recommend specifically using Selleys 50g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty as it is purpose made to be immersed in water. My number one tip is to make sure that the area where you will be using it is totally clean and free of moss, mould, and mildew. Knead it is suitable for repairing damp, wet or underwater substrates. It's suitable for use on fibreglass, wood, ceramics, metal, concrete, glass, masonry and most plastics. It can be used under fresh or saltwater.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much, Eric.  Your response is really comprehensive and helpful  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects