Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shed lattice with Jasmine: Amazing spring fragrance

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Shed lattice with Jasmine: Amazing spring fragrance

A simple lattice installed onto the side of a garden shed with Jasmine growing through it for some amazing Spring / Summer flowering and smells. 

Jasmine Plant - Year 2Jasmine Plant - Year 2

This project was one of our 2020 lockdown projects and was a great mental escape for my wife in the midst of being an emergency service worker during a global pandemic. The aim of this was simple, we wanted to hide the exterior of the shed as much as possible and have a flowering plant (that was non toxic to our dogs) outside our Laundry (and close to the bedrooms) that would provide a nice smelling fragrance when flowering.

Before the LatticeBefore the LatticeThe Lattice & Jasmine PlantsThe Lattice & Jasmine Plants

The Lattice was secured onto the shed in 4 places using u shaped buckles (for the life of me, can't remember their names), we drilled small holes for each side (8 in total) and used a Rivet Gun to secure them to the side of the shed, we then used sealant around the holes on the inside so no moisture leaked through. 

The ground in front of it was then prepared with nutrient rich planting Mix before the 2 Jasmine plants bought from Bunnings were planted, it was then topped up with Mulch left over from another garden project. 

The plant itself gets plenty of sun and required little water (cheers unusual weather event of the last 3 years) and grew to the top of the lattice within the first year. We've also never had to give it more fertiliser and have had to prune it twice in this time.

Year 2!Year 2! 

Going off of our last flowering, we should have a lovely Jasmine scent up until the end of Summer, and I encourage anyone looking to partially hide a metal shed to do something similar :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shed lattice with Jasmine - Amazing Spring fragrance

Hi @Remarka6le

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful idea. Not only do you get a delightful jasmine scent but your steel shed gets natural cover which I'm sure is a big help in keeping its temperature down. I can't believe how quickly the jasmine has grown in such a short time.

Again, thank you so much for sharing such a fantastic idea.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Great project! I love the healing aspect of it. 
I’m planning something similar but would like to use a native climber in an area that has more shade. Any suggestions?

Hi @TheHandySquirrel,

You might like to check out these articles on How to choose a screening plant and How to create privacy by our knowledgeable gardening expert @Adam_W; they're both packed with helpful information. 

One of my favourite climbing natives that will tolerate shade is Pandorea. It has beautiful trumpet-like flowers that attract butterflies and bees and is perfect for covering fences and trellises.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @TheHandySqirrel , our Jasmine is shaded up until around 1-ish being on the south-western side of our home, in a more shaded area I know hydrangea does well in that aspect, but it's a native to Asia (but looks stunning!). The Gum vine is native to the east coast and those things grow like crazy in shaded areas, might be a good option?

As @MitchellMc said, @Adam_W is the resident gardening expert on the Bunnings Workshop, he has a ton of knowledge regarding this kind of stuff, so his articles are great!

Remarka6le
homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Re: Shed lattice with Jasmine: Amazing spring fragrance

Wow @Remarka6le it looks great! I can't believe how quickly it grew!

You've inspired me to go down and buy a few Jasmine plants this weekend!

Cheers @homeinmelbourne :), Jasmine is a fantastic plant, I'm sitting in my office right now with our main corridor open and that soothing smell is just flowing through the house, it's awesome. 100% go grab some Jasmine, you won't be let down!

Remarka6le
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Just updating with the further growth and flowering during our current weather event in QLD, the smell is divine and I can hear the croaking of several Green Tree Frogs around it. I'll be setting up a similar Frog Hotel to what I previously made here to help them out. 

The Flowers look amazingThe Flowers look amazing

Rain making this thing go crazyRain making this thing go crazy

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects