Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I replace my Photonia hedge?

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Should I replace my Photonia hedge?

I have photonia hedge at the edge of the patio. There are about 4 plants which were all planted 15 years ago with the new house.

they are all tall with much less screening in the lower level. I didn’t prune them regularly, but a a couple of times in the last few years.

I wonder if they all have to be replaced with new photonics or something else.

Please advise.

Photonia hedgePhotonia hedge

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden hedge

I think that would overcrowd the area with too many plants in one space, @Ngnra. You could extend the garden out further to increase its depth and plant some type of low-growing hedging plant to cover this area, but you'd want to provide space between them and the photina.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Could you suggest any hedge that can go with photonia?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Most other hedges would be compatible with the Photina if spaced adequately away from it @Ngnra. It's just a matter of selecting a hedge type you like, and that grows as per your requirements. You might like to visit your local Bunnings store and check out what's available in your area. Did you want something that flowers or just to screen the lower portion of the Photina? What height would this hedge need to grow to?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Many thanks, Mitchell

@Ngnra @MitchellMc @Noelle  I was thinking a very hard pruning to help reshoot new growth below. 

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Ok, will do.

Thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects