Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use timber or concrete sleepers for garden edging?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Should I use timber or concrete sleepers for garden edging?

Soon I'll be looking to start establishing some edging in my blank canvas back yard to section grass/gravel areas.

Looking for advice on timber vs concrete sleepers. Looking for them to sit flush with existing garden beds. Currently ground level is around 160mm *variable* to top of beds.

The areas will be filled with garden materials loams/gravel so requiring for the edging to be stable enough to hold the bearing and fine to be almost completely buried. 

I dont have the ability to transport 3m length items so would need to look at smaller sizes and connecting/stabilising. 

Have attached garden sketch for reference. 

The main areas I am looking at is the grass areas and the path until it hits the curves.20240203_181235.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Retaining/edging options?

Good Evening @amySA 

I like your sketch :smile: It really helps narrow down what you want and where things can fit dosnt it!

Id like to throw in a third option instead of timber or concrete sleepers, how about low Gabion walls with a timber top to them?

This is one of my projects where I have used the low gabion wall as an edge to the path and also for a couple of bench seats.

Gabion wall bench seats 

These ones are only low in height and would satisy your variable height land. Jack 65 x 30 x 15cm Landscaper's Plant Support Garden Gabion 

There are some other sizes you can go with as well. 

I found these pre-made ones incredibly easy to put together and install. No worries about 3m plus lengths :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

Either timber or concrete sleepers would work well for your project. The timber is the easier option to cut to size, but concrete is more long-lasting. Depending on whether you could make some slight adjustments to your plan, you could use the Pioneer 2.0m x 200 x 75mm Grey Smooth Reinforced Concrete Sleeper for your 2m lengths and two of the Pioneer 1.53m x 200 x 75mm Grey Smooth Reinforced Concrete Sleepers for the 3m lengths. Being concrete, you'd need a couple of helpers to move them, and I'd certainly recommend you organise delivery to your home if needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc This was what I was hoping for. 

I know if I'm using wooden sleepers i know there is the option to anchor them into the ground for support. Is anything like this needed for the concrete ? 

Along the pathway I will also be doing edging do so I will have ends that will meet. Could you assist on how I would go about connecting? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There's a variety of steel post options designed to be used with the concrete @amySA. If the sleepers are holding back any soil, then you'll need to use a substantial post to ensure they are capable of withstanding the weight. Joiner posts are also available to create longer lengths.

Mitchell

amySA
Cultivating a Following

After considering options I think I am going to go with wood sleepers. 

The originally linked concrete posts @MitchellMc aren't available at bunnings local to me and sizes are fairly restricted. I think asthetically wood would be more my preference also. 

The questions I have now are the following keeping in mind the edging will be dug in, however I do have the concern I dont have enough ground to work with. 

1. Best way to secure sleepers to the ground? They will be supporting soil on each sides and be mostly covered with minor amounts exposed. Steel channels? Ground posts? Cement in trenches? Gravel? 

The current ground is dry clay mixed with rock. 

2. Should I be covering the bottom areas of wood with some sort of protective cover to assist longevity that will be in contact with the grass areas that will be watered regularly? 

3. Completely unsure how I would look at connecting the "T Junction" area around need the pathway and where the 3m sleeper would meet. 

Alot of questions 

I plan to use H4 pine sleepers and if helpful I am located in South Australia :smile:  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amySA 

If the sleeper is to be dug in and not a great deal of pressure will be put on the sleeper, I propose having a look at the Jack 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Sleeper Peg Flat Stake. The bottom and the sides of the sleepers can be covered with Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber.

Used as a membrane, Bitumen Rubber is ideal for waterproofing underground walls, and surfaces, garden beds, landscaped areas, fishponds, stock troughs and water features.

But if you want it to be very strong you can use the sleepers themselves as posts. They can be cut down and concreted in place. Please note that if you use the sleepers for a raised garden bed, I recommend using 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m. Used in landscaping and retaining wall applications - Termite resistant treatment suitable for use in vegetable beds and Children’s play areas.

In regards to the "T" junction, I suggest using Jack 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Corner Stake Sleeper Peg on each side. To add extra strength, you could use Zenith M12 x 100mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Coach Screw to link the sleepers together in a "T" configuration.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a timber retaining wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

amySA
Cultivating a Following

The sleepers will be used as a purpose of sectioning parts of the yard as seen in my original sketch. Very minimum will be actually above the ground. Will be used for the purpose of soil against both sides of the sleepers. 

Ultimately just want to know if there is a need to go as far as concreting and if so is this enough for good draining capacity and then if not, an alternative way of connecting them seeing as they will be buried 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

If there is material on both sides of the sleeper, then the need to pin them in place with posts is reduced. The posts are really there to stop them being pushed over by material just on one side, as I had previously presumed would be the case. If they are to be almost completely buried, then you could just use Galvanised mending plates to join them end to end and angle brackets for any T or corner joints.

Could you please expand a bit more on "is this enough for good draining capacity".

Mitchell

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the clarification that is very helpful! So no posts required if materials on both sides. 

I have read in various places that people recommend placing the sleepers on a bed of concrete and gravel in trenches in some way and it helps in aiding water not pooling around the bottom of the sleepers underground ? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects