Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sir Walter Turf Problem

CarolAg
Just Starting Out

Sir Walter Turf Problem

I recently bought 10 pieces of Sir Walter Turf. I laid it straight away and water it daily and have fertilised it every week with Seasol. The edges of the Turf and great but the middle has died. What else can i do? I showed a photo to bunnings where i purchased it but they said just persevere. What else can i do to save it. 

20211027_111052.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sir Walter Turf Problem

Hello @CarolAg

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about your Sir Walter Turf slabs.

One of the reasons turf slabs die off is the ground was not properly prepared. Certain steps need to be taken in the garden to give the turf a good soil foundation from which to grow. One of those steps includes soil aeration, this loosens up compacted earth and opens it up allowing roots to grow into it. If the soil is too compacted the turf roots will not be able to penetrate the soil. 

I recommend the Trojan All Steel Spiked Aerator to break up the solid surface of the turf to allow the surviving parts of it to grow. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the center parts of those slabs are dead. You can either wait for the surviving turf to recolonize the area or you can use lawn seed to get it going. Please make sure to get the same type as Sir Walter Turf.   

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects