Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Smelly tank water

SusieQ
Just Starting Out

Smelly tank water

I have a 2000lt water tank ,I use for the garden only, and the water has started to stink, why? and how can I fix this disgusting problem without killing my plants?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: smelly tank water

Hello @SusieQ

Thanks for sharing your question about your smelly water tank. This phenomenon often happens when organic matter settles at the bottom of the tank. Usually, when rainwater enters your tank for a prolonged period of time, it agitates the bottom of the tank and replaces the stagnant water in the tank with fresh new water. If you have not had any heavy rain in your area for a while odds are anaerobic conditions are developing in your tank.

I suggest reading our best advice post - How do you fix a water tank with a sulphur smell? The solutions proposed in that post should effectively begin removing the smell in your water tank. If after trying out the solutions and the smell persists, please let us know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects