Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Succulent display using terracotta pots and timber screen

mwarde1
Getting Established

Succulent display using terracotta pots and timber screen

A cheap and easy weekend project that allows you to show off your small succulents. 

This project uses 100 mm wide fence palings and 11 cm diameter terracotta pots and a few basic tools, like a drill and a hole saw.

First I cut the palings to length and gave them a bit of a sand. I then worked out how many pots would fit along the length and marked centres for the hole saw. I made sure that the hole I cut was a little more than half of the diameter into the paling to ensure that the pots wouldn't just fall out.

Once all the holes were cut I gave it a paint job and attached it to a timber screen with wing nuts made from scrap wood on the back of the screen. 

20220706_105536.jpg

20220706_105614.jpg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Succulent display using terracotta pots and timber screen

Nice one. Simple but looks great. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Welcome @mwarde1 to the Bunnings Workshop Community.

What a great idea, great job well done.

Just as an extra security to prevent pots from working there way loose, maybe you could add a drop of silicone or hot glue melt on the side or back of each pot.

Could you let us know the hole saw size used?

Here is my wall planter display that I made a while ago using old decking merbau timber, I planted succulents it the boxes.

Succulents a re very low maintenance.

Old deck wall plant holder.JPG

mwarde1
Getting Established

I used a 100 mm hole saw and start drilling about 20 mm in from the edge to get a secure fit for the 11 cm pots. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@mwarde1 thank you for the quick reply, Well done.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mwarde1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this fantastic project.

That looks fabulous and seems the perfect way to showcase your lovely succulents. I love your genius way of mounting the pots. 

I wouldn't mind building something similar as my one-year-old son has taken a fancy to picking my succulents apart piece by piece. This project would certainly keep them out of his reach. However, knowing him, he'd likely start using the structure as a ladder to gain access.

Well done, and I look forward to seeing what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects