A few years ago, I made some succulent frames to hang on our courtyard wall. After three years, they started to look a bit tired, so I remade them with some improvements.
They are essentially treated pine with 45 degree mitres nailed together to form an open box. The bottom of the box is some corflute sheeting. My original design used marine ply, which didn't hold up to the constant moisture. Also, I previously used a succulent potting mix, but found it kept falling out of the frame.
This time I decided to first line the box with garden plastic, and then instead of soil, I used sphagnum moss. Once the succulents have taken root, I will hide the exposed plastic and chicken wire edges with some merbau trim.
It hangs on the wall via french cleats, so it helps to have a table saw to rip those before putting the frame together. The below photos illustrate how that works.
Its not a particularly difficult project, and its a great way to spruce up a bare wall.
Love it @gregoreau, fantastic work. Many thanks for sharing your first project with us. We are looking forward to seeing more!
Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We have loads of members sharing helpful advice and inspiring work.
Welcome to Workshop.