Thought this mini-makeover I did today might be of interest. At the front of our place we've a bed either side of the steps & they've seen much better days. With our renovations I haven't done much with the yard so today I decided to freshen-up one side & will do the same with the other. These beds actually serve a purpose. They are raised mounds and stop water from flowing under the house, diverting it out the sides.
I didn't want to spend much on this as budgets are tight so I managed to get it done for $30...
- Carefully lifted the clumps of liriopes and agapanthus with a garden fork.
- Dragged the soil mound back towards the yard by about 30cm as over time it had crept downhill.
- Bought a 1/2 cubic meter of landscape soil from our local supplier for $30. That just fits nicely on my ute.
- Grabbed a ute-load (probably about 1.5cu/m) of mulch for free from our local Resource Recovery Centre (that the tip for us old timers...).
- Divided up the liriopes and replanted them along the front.
- Planted the top of the mound with pineapples that I have grown from pineapple tops and pups cut from our established plants.
Very satisfying way to spend a Sunday and I kept the CFO happy
Before. This is the other side that I haven't done yet but looked the same.After.