Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Use coffee grounds in the garden

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Use coffee grounds in the garden

Coffee grounds make a great addition to any garden and can be used in a number of ways. Using spent coffee grounds also helps reduce landfill which is great for the environment.

Coffee Grounds for your Compost (best way to use your grounds)

1. Adds nitrogen to your compost
  2. Can throw in paper filters as well (if anybody still does this)
  3. Apply thin layers of grounds into your compost bin, heap or tumbler or dig them in
  4. Don’t apply too much - < 20% volume

Coffee grounds on your Garden

1. Great for adding nutrients and organic matter into your garden which improves drainage, nutrient uptake and helps promote earthworms and improves water holding capacity
  2. Place thin layers on the garden or dig into the soil – 1 bag per meter2 (assuming say 1 litre bag)
  3. Unwashed coffee grounds an be used to lower pH of soils for acid loving plants
  4. Don’t apply too much <2.5% coffee grounds by volume

Other uses for Coffee Grounds in the garden

1. Snail and Slug repellent - works well as a natural snail and slug repellent when placed as a border around susceptible plants
  2. Cat deterrent – grounds have been known to deter cats from using the areas where located as a litter box
  3. Worm Food – great for Vermicomposting (worm farms)
  4. Mulch – use thin layers if you have enough as a mulch in your garden (no more than .5cm deep so it doesn’t form a ‘cake’ layer which may become impervious)

Grounds.jpg

Kanga42
Getting Established

Re: Don't throw away those coffee grounds

I bet it hypes up the worms.... wriggle little wormy 🐍
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Don't throw away those coffee grounds

@robchin On a side-note all Bunnings stores which have a cafe, are more than happy to box and give away their used coffee grounds. So if anyone would like to try the benefits listed above feel free to drop in, I know my store is always happy to see them go to good use.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thrive
Growing in Experience

Re: Use coffee grounds in the garden

Interesting thing about coffee ground is that slugs and snails gets wrapped like in corn flour and hence prevents them from reaching their destination. Most perish along the way.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Use coffee grounds in the garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thrive

It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the discussion with an interesting fact. Are you an avid gardener by chance?

It would be great to hear about the projects you have joining on around your house and garden and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from within the community. We'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance with them or if you have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects