Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vertical garden with built-in watering system

kel
Making a Splash

Vertical garden with built-in watering system

IMG_0002.JPG

Note from the Bunnings Workshop community manager: If you want to build this fantastic vertical garden, Mitch has created step-by-step instructions here - How to build a vertical garden

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Vertical garden with built-in watering system

Visitors to this fantastic project might also be interested in the Top 10 most popular fence projects on Workshop, and the Top 10 most popular raised garden beds.

I'm sure you will get inspired by the fantastic work of our community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stewiesnr
Having an Impact

Re: D.I.Y. vertical garden

looks fantastic, well done

dannii
Finding My Feet

Hi I'm new to this workshop so just looking around the site too see what it's all about and to get advice and help I found this it looks awesome my fences are all colorbond fencing I dont even have a tree in my backyard I would love to do something like this for my little girl is this costly we've had a really hard 12months so it would be great to brighten up our lives a little thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @dannii. I trust you will recieve lots of great advice and inspiration for your projects from our members.

Let me tag @kel for you to alert her to your question about the approximate cost of her vertical garden. I'm sure she would be happy to help as much as possible.

You might also be interested in these other projects from Workshop members who came up with other solutions to screen Colorbond fences:

Other ideas can be found in our Top 10 most popular fence projects.

Hope that helps. 

Jason

sinez70
Growing in Experience

Wow! What an amazing idea plus a great space saver garden 😀

Neo19
Making a Splash

Re: the vertical gardens that i built

This looks great! Thanks for explaining the process @kel

coffeerequired
Growing in Experience

That’s fantastic, do you think it would work for a screening wall also? How did you do the self watering part is it a dropper system? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @coffeerequired,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion.

I think you could definitely adapt this idea as a screening wall as long as you had a strong frame. Feel free to let us know if you need a hand with it.

You can see the irrigation system that @kel installed as part of this project on the photo below. 

Jason

IMG_0299.JPG

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

Hi

Sorry for asking question ages after your original post.. Did you use treated pine for boxes - and was it CCA treated one? - they say its not for plants (seems you dont grow edible ones - hence you might not hjave the issue)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nuwa.

Let me tag @kel so they are notified of your question.

CCA treated timber is suitable for garden beds. If you would like to grow vegetables specifically rooting crops, it is well advised to line the bed with builders plastic film. After completing such a project, it is also great peace of mind knowing nothing at all is leeching into the soil.

There is also a range of sleepers which are CuAz (Copper Azole treated) which are suitable for vegetable and herb growing beds. Those products are Ironwood 200 x 50mm 2.4m Sienna Treated Pine SleeperIronwood 200 x 50mm 3.0m Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper and Ironwood 200 x 75mm 3.0m Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper. We also have hardwood sleepers available through our Special Orders which have no treatment at all.

If you need any further assistance or have questions about other timber treatments, please let me know.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects