Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Weeds around Hebes

keridwyn
Finding My Feet

Weeds around Hebes

Looking for a broad leaf weedkiller which is safe to use around (very close to) young hebes. Does this exist? weeds are bittercress, groundsel, and tall willow herb

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weeds around Hebes

Hi @keridwyn,

Eco-Organic Garden Concentrate Slasher Organic Weedkiller would be a suitable product for that application. It's an organic product which is safe to use around other plants as it leaves no lasting residue in the soil. 

Unfortunately, your Hebes won't be particularly happy if it comes in contact with them. I'd advise using a large piece of cardboard positioned as a barrier in between the weeds and you Hebes when spraying. You should also spray when there isn't a significant breeze. Alternatively, you can apply the product with a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to control weeds organically.

You might also be interested in reading through these other discussions:

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, I hadn't considered using using an applicator, that looks very handy. On a similar note, is there a safe herbicide for weeds which are in amongst dense ferns? creeping oxalis, liverwort and broad leaved fleabane? I read that triclopyr for oxalis wont kill bracken fern, but these are blechnums.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keridwyn,

Weeds like creeping oxalis can be a pain to poison even when there is nothing else around. I'd need to see is some of our experts could assist with your question. Let me mention @Adam_W, @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they knew of a herbicide for weeds amongst dense ferns.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects